Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eleashea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Age to get married
    My boyfriend and I want to get married he is 17 and I am 16 can we be married now?:confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Until you are 18 you most likely need to get your parents consent. Unless you live in Mississippi maybe.

State Marriage Statutes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 08:14 PM
    And for heavens sake you have no business getting married yet. Grow up, if you are really really in love you will still be in love in a few years and must better at handling a relastionship
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    and for heavens sake you have no business getting married yet. Grow up, if you are really really in love you will still be in love in a few years and must better at handling a relastionship
    Yes, I agree. What is the rush? There is no reason to get married right now. Few more years and see what happens then.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Mar 5, 2008, 11:46 PM
    If you would like to get married then well, you must get your parents consent I BELIEVE in ANY state unless you are pregnant, then you do not need consent because you are automatically considered an adult. I am not advising you in ANY way to get married at such a young age, but however, I did answer your question.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 12:15 AM
    Checklist before marriage:

1. have a career. By career, I don't mean cashiering at the local wal-mart. A career is something that will pay rent, food, car payments, insurance, utility bills, and possibly other things... like clothes.

2. graduate high school. It sounds ridiculous, I know. But do try.

3. if at all possible, go to college. Some may argue that college isn't for them. But... numbers don't lie. Those with college degrees make more in the end. Unless you're an nba all star or an assassin.

4.. . get out of parents' house? How embarrassing is it to come home after the honeymoon and go upstairs only for your parents to call you down for dinner?

5. make sure your sacral bones have fused. (this takes place sometime between 18 - 25... mainly because it's just embarrassing when you're physically immature when you get married)

They say that marriage only requires love... but that's a lie and a half. It requires SO much more. It comes with a mortgage, a joint account, a minivan, and possibly a kid. Me.. at the age of 22... is scared of marriage. I can barely take care of myself, much less a family. Think it through. Talk to parents. Talk to counselors... youth ministers... pick someone from the street.

If you love one another, what's another 4 - 5 years?

*poster's note - I mean no disrespect for those who are actually cashiers at wal-mart. You guys are doing an awesome job. I just don't consider it a lifelong career. Sorry*

Mar 6, 2008, 11:01 AM
    I Sneeze that was very well said. Quite hilarious actually. However, I do not agree with some points. While you and I usually agree, this is I guess a rare occasion. I agree with 2-5 but I do not agree with number one. I am also 22, and I have been married for almost 2 years. I do not have a career. I am currently in college working toward one though. My husband has a career though. Anyway, I guess I am trying to say that yes, love is not ALL you need, and they can wait 4-5 more years if they are truly in love, but, JUST love can get you through a lot. I would still have married my husband had we been living in a cardboard box underneath a bridge. If we didn't have a dime, it wouldn't matter to me. I just wouldn't consider bringing a child into the world. Some things are VERY important when deciding to get married, others aren't. Once again, this is only my humble opinion. Although, I do believe that 16 and 17 is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY to young for marriage.

On a lighter note, I have been a cashier at wal-mart before. Lol. It sucks real bad!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Eleashea,

I married at 18. My wife was also 18. We've been married 42 years now.

My advice to you is to sit bright eyes down and the both of you come to terms with each other.

First, if you are sexually active with the love of your life, stop now. Both of you are to young for the consequences that will greet you.

At 16, you should be thinking of your Prom dress and college.

At 17, he should be thinking of getting you out of your prom dress on prom night and college. The winner should be college.

As to getting the prom dress off you after the prom, the answer is no, wait for the Wedding Gown.

Be young while you can be. Marriage can wait until you are actually ready for it. In all the years we have been married, the only shared regret is that we married to young. Not that we shouldn't have married, that we should have waited.

Personally, I enjoy the lady I married as much today as I did then, hopefully she feels the same way.

Please consider the advice of many of the responders and wait until you have a better sense of who marriage will turn your world upside down.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Darlin', I would wait. At 16 I was in school, getting okay grades, had a job, tons of friends (means tons of sleepovers), tons of boyfriends and so many opportunities. The thought of marriage never once crossed my mind. Maybe it was the fact that I never found that 'someone' at 16 worthy of getting married to.

At 17 I had bought my first car (what a piece I tell ya), was a senior in high school, getting awesome grades, applying to colleges (got accepted in one), going out with friends, dreaming of what I could become and never once did I think that I would be getting married in the next 5 years.

Now, I think about it but that is because I'm older (20), have an awesome job, a place to call my own, and working to become something great in this world. Being 20 the thought of marriage does cross my mind quit often. That is because I have matured. In my younger years I was able to enjoy life without any worries and I was able to find myself.

I think you know what I am trying to get at. In case you don't... grow up a little, enjoy your freedom; enjoy your young years; become someone not someone else's.

Good luck with whatever choice you make but always remember that marriage means FOREVER. Think about it.

You have so much to experience...
    1023mya Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleashea
    My boyfriend and i want to get married he is 17 and i am 16 can we be married now?:confused:
    I don't really think age should be the issue, I t all depends on your relationship with him. I met my husband at 17 and, I was with him 5 years before we go married because of my parents thinking I was to young. It turned out that we put more stress on ourselves worrying about what the appropriate age is. I've also found go with your gut feeling it always steers me the right way...
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1023mya
    I don't really think age should be the issue, I t all depends on your relationship with him. I met my husband at 17 and, I was with him 5 years before we go married b/c of my parents thinking I was to young. It turned out that we put more stress on ourselves worrying about what the appropriate age is. I've also found go with your gut feeling it always steers me the right way...
    I agree but disagree. Yes it does depend on how your relationship is but age has a huge factor. Not everyone will be as successful as you when they get married at a young age.

Most people are going to advise her not to get married now because of her age. You don't see many 16 and 17 year olds getting married these days.

I hope I didn't offend you... :)

Mar 6, 2008, 03:48 PM
    [QUOTE=bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE]become someone not someone else's. QUOTE]

Absolutely wonderful! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Mar 6, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Damnit, my quote thingy didn't work. Sometimes I hate this place! Lol
    MissCherry2007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleashea
    My boyfriend and i want to get married he is 17 and i am 16 can we be married now?:confused:
    I was 20... june 2006, my birthday is aug 27th... hubby was 34... now 36... legally separated... and staying married., moveing soon to be with him...
    cmm4ever Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
    I know where your coming from. I am in a 4.5 year relationship with my boyfriend. I know he is the one I'll marry (stay married to!). I'm 18, started college right out of high school. I would say at least make sure you save up enough money to live on your own/get certain things out of way before? If you want go to college/take up something... don't have to wait until you graduate but maybe just until you at least accomplish some things. I honestly KNOW I'm ready for marriage, but waiting a while longer just to get a head start on some things.. you know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am in love with 2 men, 1 is getting married and I am married to the other [ 12 Answers ]

Never ever thought I would be posting a question on a site - but life got me here:rolleyes: I am a happily married woman - happily married if you remove the sex out of marriage. My partner was never very interested in sex and that was something I had comfortably accepted. We lived happily for...

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

I cannot answer this one for certain. (married/previously married folks may help) [ 3 Answers ]

My old college roommate asked me to weigh in on his girlfriend's angst. His girlfriends ex-husband remarried and he says she's been a bit "off" since for weeks. I said it was normal since she has kids with her Ex and now they have a new family for her to deal with etc... Anyway, he thinks...

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

View more questions Search