Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 30, 2006, 12:13 AM
    Chewing gum...
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, if it isn't can one of the mods move it.

I had a question about chewing gum. What do you think about it? I heard many benefits of chewing gum. Although I also heard of some negative aspects of gum chewing, they weren't as many...
    :)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 6, 2006, 07:37 PM
    If the sugar isn't rinsed away immediately then you are inviting cavity causing activity. There is also the possibility of further loosening some already slightly loose fillings. Besides that I know of no other reason not to chew.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Chewing gum with xylitol in it actually helps to neutralize the acids in your mouth after eating therefor reducing the risk of cavities. It does not take the place of good brushing and flossing though! Chewing gum for long periods can cause problems with the TMJ (temporomandibular joint) or jaw joints.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund Puppy Chewing Problems... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7mo. Old Daschund puppy. He is the sweetest dog, but he has a MAJOR chewing problem. He has no less than six toys, gets treats twice a day, and has adapted pretty well to potty training. Unfortunately, he chews on other things as well... - carpet - baseboards (he chewed it until...

6 year old has bad chewing habit [ 2 Answers ]

My younger daughter ( who by the way just had her 6th birthday) has started chewing on things like her fingers and anything made of plastic I have to constantly tell her to take them out of her mouth and snatch them from her. I thought that was supposed to be a stage they passed when they were much...

Puppy biting/chewing her fur [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots...

Puppy chewing on rug [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a spray or something you can get to spray on things you don't want puppy to chew on? He seems to have taken a liking to my area rug and nothing seems to deter him from it. He has lots of toys he chews on but ends up back at the rug eventually. He has also started playing with the puppy...

Puppy not chewing food [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 month old cairn terrier literally wolfs down her food without chewing it - is this bad for her and how can I encourage her to chew her food properly?

View more questions Search