Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GonnaGoThereOneDay Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 01:34 PM
    How do i talk to my parents?
    I would really really like to go study abroad in England. I have looked on many sites and I don't know which ones are good. See my parents don't really take me seriously about this so I am doing all of this research by myself to prove to them I'm serious. They think I'm too young. But I wish to go to England my freshman year and then in my Junior Year go to France after learning French throughout high school. Or at least go to England. Any advice on the parent situation or good websites? Please help... =]
    jp1 Posts: 49, Reputation: 6

Mar 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Hun I'm english and I moved to ireland 5years ago england has afew nice places but not many were you thinking of going don't say manchester

Mar 5, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Englands not as good as everyone makes it out to be I lived their 18years and I'm glad I moved to ireland its alovley place id never go back its getting really ruff in all areas now even place that was well none for being nice quiet areas arnt anymore the houses are boarded up its got really bad were abouts you thinking of going??

Mar 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Well I don't know . London or around there. I really like the architecture and I mean I only speak english so . Yeah

Mar 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
    How old are you?

Mar 5, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Well I'm going to be 15 turning 16 when I go if I go my freshman year, but I know people that have went and came here younger than me .

Mar 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Will you be going to aschool over in england while you're their and staying with afamily, like foreign exchange student??
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Two programs that I know of for high school students are AFT and Youth For Understanding. I went to Denmark when I was 16 through Youth For Understanding and my sister went to Switzerland when she was in high school.
    I became friends with an exchange student at my school and my parents got to know more about it that way. After my experience, my parents then hosted a couple of exchange students themselves.
    It was an amazing experience... I was truly fortunate as the family I stayed with took me traveling to several other countries as well.
    Check out the sites... read the info on the sections for parents too. Do your homework on it before you present your case! Highlight the pros and show you understand and have given consideration to any possible cons... homesickness, etc.. Good luck!

Mar 5, 2008, 08:23 PM
    See we have 2 at our school now. But DoulaLc thanks so much . I've been researching it for a couple weeks now. And I told my mom about the programs. (I had researched youth for understanding) and she agreed I could go... depending on the prices . How much was yours exstimativly ?
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GonnaGoThereOneDay
    see we have 2 at our school now. but DoulaLc thanks so much . ive been researching it for a couple weeks now. and i told my mom about the programs. (i had researched youth for understanding) and she agreed i could go.... depending on the prices . how much was yours exstimativly ?
    I went quite a long time ago, but just looking on their site, it is several thousand dollars now... pretty expensive. Many of the semester prices are the same as going for the entire year, which may or may not be an option for you. Do you have a job where you could start saving to put some of your own money towards it? If you haven't already, you might talk to your school counselor about it and see if they know of other programs as well so you can check out all of your options. Depending on your financial situation... it may be a case of working towards saving for awhile and maybe going in your junior year. It is hard to wait, I know, but would be a possibility if you couldn't go as soon as you would like to. The programs also offer scholarships and such to look into.

Mar 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Yeah . I think my parents are willing to pay for most of it. We did do some of the scholarship things. I think I can only go to a semester because of the sports I'm invovled in . (my parents coach . Got to be there)
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GonnaGoThereOneDay
    yeah . i think my parents are willing to pay for most of it. we did do some of the scholarship things. i think i can only go to a semester because of the sports im invovled in . (my parents coach . gotta be there)

Good luck with it! It is really a great experience... :)
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Mar 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Tell them your goals and for sure they will understand,for no parents ignore their chidlren especailly where studies and carrier is concerned . Best of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Okay, I admitted my lying to my parents, how should I handle the "talk" tonight? [ 5 Answers ]

I admitted to my parents that I was cheating in school. How should I handle the talk tonight?? Please answer!

Okay, I admitted my lying to my parents, how should I handle the "talk" tonight? [ 1 Answers ]

I admitted to my parents that I was cheating in school. How should I handle the talk tonight?? Please answer!

Why would she talk to me now? [ 5 Answers ]

I had the best relationship of my life with this one girl. Six months have gone by and my Ex-girlfriend of two years just contacted me through an online gaming service Xbox Live(exactly like an instant messenger). She said, "Nothing's changed. I have been thinking about you lately and was...

What to talk about [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with conversations. I tend to be a more shy person and when I do try to talk to people I don't know what to talk about and then I feel awkward. Im sick of being the "quiet" girl that no one knows. Please help if you can. By the way, I'm in high...

View more questions Search