Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebs1105 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2003, 11:36 PM
    Need help ID'ing a spider!
    HI! I hope someone can help me ID a spider I saw yesterday. I will do the best I can w/the description.

In Southern California, North of LA... close to the ocean. The web was "normal" looking, your average spider web, like the one in "Charlotte's Web". No sticky residue or anything out of the ordinary. It spanned about a foot in diameter. It ran from a hedge to the ground.

The spider was very lare (not as large as a tarantula, but LARGE). It was approximately 1 inch from leg to leg, brown, visible hair on body and legs. The most distiguishing characteristic; on it's belly, which was very light brown, was distinctive black marking. Amost like a small rectangle, but with a border on top and bottom.

The spider looked to be repairing it's web when I observed it. The web was in place, but there were holes, and it was fixing them.

Thank you for your help!
    Most Sincerely,
    Rebecca Featherston
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 7, 2003, 12:35 PM
    need help ID'ing a spider!
    This site requests spider specimen identifications for research purposes.

Entomology - Spiders and other Arachnids - Spider myths. "Brown Widow Spiders in Southern California" The spider (Latrodectus geometricus) is real, and new, but the threat is far exaggerated...
    http://spiders.ucr.edu/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spider in my house! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm wondering if somebody could tell me anything about this spider. I found it on my bed and I'm hoping it's not dangerous. Thank you!! :confused:

Spider mites in our house [ 3 Answers ]

We have spider mites all over the inside and outside of our house. We have no house plants and no landscapeing outside. A friend in the bug biz. Says they sometimes are in the lumber when they build new houses and get in that way after a while. I have a baby and don't want to risk her health but...

View more questions Search