Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maestrospenny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Trying to obtain dual Greek/USA citizenship; having trouble with Greek Consulates
    I'm trying to find help in obtaining Greek citizenship through my father, who was born in Greece, still has his Greek passport, but is now a naturalized U.S. citizen. The main problem I am having is finding a consulate that will even talk to me/help me. The one consulate that has been helpful is unfortunately NOT the consulate that I need to apply with, evidently because they each have a different jurisdiction. Has anyone been successful with this and if so could you suggest the best way of approaching the consulate to get the process started. I have tried email, phone calls, postal mail and even faxes, but have YET to get any response. I am trying to contact the Consulate General at the Embassy in Washington, D.C. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!! :)
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Oct 3, 2007, 08:52 PM
    If only one of your parents is Greek, the process will usually take a couple of years. My situation was very straightforward [my father was a Greek citizen, and married in a religious ceremony] but it still took about 3 years for me to actually get the passport.

Best thing to do is get all your documents in order and make an appointment at the Consulate. If you send them something via Postal Mail, make sure it is registered, and ask for a response. They are required to provide a protocol number, and respond to you.
    liamandme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
    I have had a similar issue as my Dad is a Greek citizen but my mother is an American. I have all the necessary paperwork and each time I went back to the Greek Consulate in NY they told me something needed to be changed whether it be spelling of last names, the way something was translated, etc. The latest was a change to my parent's marriage certificate (they were married in Greece) as they translated my mother's name wrong per the Consulate which is cost 1200 Euros and going through the Greek courts for almost a year. Now things have changed as I started the process in 2008 and my Dad is as of 2010 deceased.

It seems as though with a lot of persistence you will eventually get your citizenship. The Consulate is known to be rude and frustrating to deal with but if you keep it up it is your legal right to received your Greek citizenship.

I'm going to be starting the process once again this week and hoping to get it completed once and for all. Not sure what will change because my father has passed but I shall find out.

Anyone have any insight/advice with this?

Does anyone have advice on this? I'm looking for all I can get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greek man are big liers! [ 26 Answers ]

Anybody with greek boyfriends? My greek boyfriend left me with a child.He disappeared and can't find him.I did nothing wrong,been faithfull to him. Can't understand why happened this.We were making wedding plans... Are greek man so big liers?

Dual Citizenship American & Greek [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an American married to a Greek citizen who was naturalized an now has dual citizenship in the US and Greece. My question is "Is it possible for me to obtain Greek citizenship (and passport) through my marriage to her, and if so, how do I go about it?" Thanks in advance all you...

Dual usa/greek citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how I go about getting a copy of my husband's grandfather's birth certificate - it was born in Tripoli Greece. Is their a form or service I need to use or can I go through the embassy?

Gaining dual Greek/American [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to obtain dual Greek/American for an entire family? jhaltom511

Greek citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - How can I get greek citizenship for my son? His father is greek and he recognize baby by his own in front of a public notary.Greek embassy ask me to bring the father but he disappeared.We were never married.What can I do to register my son in Greece? Anyone with greek boyfriend please advise....

View more questions Search