Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Alten,
    Some quick Googling found this: "According to Milton, in Paradise Lost, when Lucifer was banished from Heaven, he said, "It is better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven."
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 10:03 AM
    I knew I heard it or read it somewhere. Either way, Hell does exist (in my opinion), but I believe that if you are truly remorseful for you sins you will go to heaven.
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2008, 10:07 AM
    I think he might have made it for a puniskment of breaking his comandments: sinning. Everyone would break them if there was no following punishment, or consequence. But that's just what I think, no one really knows except Him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Jesus went to hell for three days. Is that meaning the Grave, Death? Or does that mean the literal hell?
    I was always taught (as a Lutheran) that Jesus visited hell during that time to show Himself as victor over death, as one who had died and rose again.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 19, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Interestingly, way back in King James' time, the word hell simply meant grave or hole.

If you were to compare scriptures mentioning fire and sulphur or eternal torment with other scrpitures explaining the state of the dead, e.g. - (Rev 14:9-11) he shall be tormented with fire and sulphur... the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever etc; (Rev 21:8)... their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur.
    Then compare with (Eccl 9:5) the dead are conscious of nothing at all; (Psa 146:3) his spirit goes out, {the same way a flame goes when you blow it out} he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish, does it make sense to you that the fire and sulphur must then be symbolic?

Think about Sodom and Gomorrah. In that time, God rained fire and sulphur down on the inhabitants of these cities for their gross sins completely destroying them, saving only faithful Lot and his 2 daughters. The bible writer Jude speaks of these cities as being an everlasting fire. But are they literally? Also 2 Thess 1:6-9 states that Jesus will bring vengeance on those not obeying and that they will undergo the punishment of everlasting destruction.

So from just a few scriptures it is possible to see that PHYSICAL eternal torment is not accurate, but rather as it says at the end of Rev 21:8 - it means the second death (no chance of everlasting life).

I suppose I just raised another question for many... what is the FIRST death? :D ;)
    Foxyarse Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Mar 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicki143
    If Jesus died for our sins why did god make hell and who goes there
    God did not create hell. We create our own hells. Hell is being estranged from God.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did god make some people ugly and others good looking [ 30 Answers ]

I'm just so mad at everything all my friends are pretty and I'm the only ugly one around everyone tells me that I look ugly... even a person who I though was my friend said I was ugly I don't know why some people are born gorgeous... and others are born so ugly do you choose to be what you look...

Will a Soul be sent to Hell if religion is practiced that doesn't fully surround God [ 12 Answers ]

I am constantly wondering whether a soul will be sent to hell if a religion is practiced that doesn't fully surround the teachings of God. Like Buddhism for example. I'm constantly hearing that if you don't believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins then you will not be able to enter Heaven and...

View more questions Search