nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 5, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Why did god make hell
    If Jesus died for our sins why did god make hell and who goes there
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Hi Sweet Niki

Gosh, I never thought about this. But it's a good question.

I don't know.
    Ooooh but I bet there are those that do :).

( Must be not such a nice place, as I have heard people say, " Oh why don't you go to hell", but they don't say it very nicely ;) :p (just kiddn)

I do know that God loves us all and want us all to go home to Him.

****EDIT****

Gave it more thought

My Father-in-law used to kid me when hubby was in a mood - Pops would whisper to me, "Honey, if there's a heaven, your going there, cause your having your hell on earth" :). I miss Pops:(

I guess I don't think of hell too much because it scares me. Sometimes I will admit, that when I see the news, and see some of the horrific things people do (child abuse, animal abuse... ) I do think... he or she is going straight to hell. But truthfully I don't think that is entierly true, because if they ask for God's forgiveness truly in their heart with all sincerety, they too can go to heaven. We are all sinners -

I just hope it is a very empty place.

Hugs and love to you.
    Hugs to you :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Hi Sweet Niki

Gosh, I never thought about this. But it's a good question.

I don't know :). :(.
    ooooh but I bet there are those that do :).

( Must be not such a nice place, as I have heard people say, " Oh why don't you go to hell", but they don't say it very nicely ;) :p (just kiddn)

I do know that God loves us all and want us all to go home to Him.

Hugs to you :)
    And, that was a good answer!

Mar 5, 2008, 12:09 PM
    I think you should run for president Allheart you would win hands down
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
    You just love me Nicki :) And that's all I need.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Pagan religions are noted for teaching red-hot hells. The ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Phoenicians, Persians, Grecians and Hindus taught flaming hells. The Buddhists teach a hell wherein people cook and sizzle in blazing kettles.

God told Adam the consequence of sin was death. Are we really to think that after Adam sinned he changed his mind about the death sentence and decided to give Adam the torture treatment? The Bible answers: “I change not.”—Mal. 3:6

The good man Job, who was suffering a great deal, prayed to God: “O that in Sheol [grave, King James Version; hell, Douay Version] you would conceal me, That you would set a time limit for me and remember me!” (Job 14:13) Now think: If Sheol means a place of fire and torment, would Job wish to go and spend his time there until God remembered him? Clearly, Job wanted to die and go to the grave that his sufferings might end.

Jesus was dead and in his grave for three days. But the Bible reports: “His soul was not left in hell.. . This Jesus hath God raised up.” (Acts 2:31, 32, King James Version) Similarly, by God's direction Jonah was raised from hell, that is, from what would have been his grave. This happened when the fish vomited him out onto dry land. Yes, people can get out of hell! In fact, the heartwarming promise is that hell (Hades) is to be emptied of all its dead. This can be seen by reading Revelation 20:13, which says: “The sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell [Hades] delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.”—King James Version.

What, then, is “the lake of fire” mentioned in the Bible book of Revelation? It has a meaning similar to that of Gehenna. It means not conscious torment but everlasting death, or destruction. Notice how the Bible itself says this at Revelation 20:14: “And death and Hades [hell, King James Version and Douay Version] were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.” Yes, the lake of fire means “second death,” the death from which there is no resurrection. It is evident that this “lake” is a symbol, because death and hell (Hades) are thrown into it. Death and hell cannot literally be burned. But they can, and will, be done away with, or destroyed.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 5, 2008, 08:06 PM
    it is true when you say that God wants all people to be with Him in heaven, but the main reason for God creating hell was for Lucifer, who is now satan or the devil, and his demons, who were once apart of heaven. Gods intent was never was to send us to hell, but because sin and a sinful nature became apart of the human race, we were destined for hell. So this wouldn't be the only solution, God sent his son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins. And all we have to do is accept the free gift, like it says in the scriptures, "whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" rom. 10:13.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicki143
    Who says God made hell? As far as who goes there. Only God knows.

I also believe that certain ideas of hell has changed over so many years. Some people even think that hell is simply separation from God.

Who really knows but God. None of us I believe will know all the mysteries surrounding all the different beliefs and questions until we face God ourselves when our time is up.

Mar 5, 2008, 11:37 PM
    We ll if he created everything he must have created hell
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Well we are human yet he gave us all the gift of being able to create. He created everything does not mean that he created hell. Maybe we create our own hell by how and what we think. Thoughts have life you know.

Joe
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Definitions:

Hell as you seem to be intending and as is commonly understood, is the place of the damned. However, hell, has many meanings as used in Scripture. People mistakenly believe that every instance of the word hell in Scripture is reference to the place of the damned. But it more frequently interprets the word "sheol" which means, the grave or the place of the dead.

When Scriptures says that Jesus descended into hell, it means that Jesus descended to the abode of the dead who were awaiting His opening the gates of heaven.

In reference to your question, my opinion is that the hell of the damned, the lake of fire, is uncreated. The Scriptures say:

Deuteronomy 4

24 Because the Lord thy God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

2 Hebrews 12

29 For our God is a consuming fire.

The Scriptures also say that all spirits return to God who created it. No exceptions.

Ecclesiastes 12

7 And the dust return into its earth, from whence it was, and the spirit return to God, who gave it.

In addition, the Scriptures say that being absent from the body is being present with God:

2 Corinthians 5

8 But we are confident, and have a good will to be absent rather from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Therefore, even people who die with mortal sin on their soul are present with God at their death. However, and at this point I'll let Dr. Scott Hahn explain the rest:

"The day of judgment is coming, to burn like a furnace," Malachi 4, verse 1. chapter 3, verse 2, "the refiners for silver and gold." Hebrews 12, verse 29, tells us that our God is a consuming fire. That's the kind of love He has. It just burns out of control. Our God is madly in love with us. He's madly in love with us. It's sheer madness for the God who owes us nothing, to whom we owe everything but to whom we gave practically nothing. He turns around and gives us everything including himself by becoming one of us and allowing us to kill him. He's madly in love with us, and that mad love is burning out of control and filling this vast universe. It's just that our physical eyes can't see it, but they will some day and our souls will undergo it. And those who have refined their love through self-sacrifice and mortification and penance and charity through the spirit of the foundation which is Christ, but those who have done so are going to enter into that fiery love of God and say, "Oooh, it feels so good! I'm home." And other people are going to look back where they have compromised and taken short cuts; they've done a lot of great things in love and faith and hope. They've even suffered some, but they have taken a lot of short cuts, They are going to enter that fire and say, "Ooh, ooh...," and purgatory is for them.

Now the saints in heaven would freeze in purgatory, and hell fire for the saints in heaven would be like ice, dry ice. Our God is a consuming fire. The periphery of the universe is hell fire. That isn't the hottest. The hottest is what you find when you get closest to God. Out of the nine choirs of angels, the highest are the Seraphim. In Hebrew it means the burning ones. They glow bright because they are consumed with this passionate, fiery love that God has for all eternity for us as His children.

Purgatory: Holy Fire

In other words, God didn't make hell. Those who reject God in this life make eternal life in the presence of the Consuming Fire which is our God, hell for themselves.

Romans 12 20 But if thy enemy be hungry, give him to eat; if he thirst, give him to drink. For, doing this, thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head.

1037 God predestines no one to go to hell; for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want "any to perish, but all to come to repentance":

Father, accept this offering
    from your whole family.
    Grant us your peace in this life,
    save us from final damnation,
    and count us among those you have chosen.
    CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1037

1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.
    CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1035

In answer to your question:
    If Jesus died for our sins

Yes, He did. But not all have accepted His sacrifice on their behalf.

why did god make hell

God didn't make hell. Those who reject God's Will make hell for themselves.

Why? Because if they choose to live without God's loving Will in this life, then they must not want God's love in the next.

and who goes there

The first to go there were the fallen angels and then those who have rejected the Will of God:

Matthew 25 41 Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 7, 2008, 06:32 PM
    The best description of Hell and its torments is given by Jesus Christ Himself.

Luke 16:22-26
    22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
    23 And in hell he lift his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
    25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
    26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
    (KJV)

It would appear that the torment is real, and that there is no way out.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
    I will admit that I'm not up to date on the bible, but wasn't it the devil who made hell. Didn't the devil say to God "Better to rule in hell then to serve in heaven." Maybe I'm wrong.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 7, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    I will admit that I'm not up to date on the bible, but wasn't it the devil who made hell. Didn't the devil say to God "Better to rule in hell then to serve in heaven." Maybe I'm wrong.
    don't know where you heard that from but it wasn't the bible
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Mar 7, 2008, 11:56 PM
    Hell is very real. When we die we go to paradise, the saved to the bosom of Abraham, and the sinner to torment (hades). There is a great gulf that separates paradise and no one can cross it. Those in hades are in immediate torment. On the day of judgement the 'book of life' will be opened and everyone, including the dead from paradise and hades will rise. If our name is not in the book of life we will be cast into the fiery furnace, hell. There is absolutely no coming back from this destination. Lots will wish they could get out because it will be complete darkness. People have said they will be in good company if they go to hell. No one will see anyone else, it will be complete darkness, a fiery, torcheres existence for eternity. Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Preachers today seem to sidestep hell. It's not a popular subject to preach on, it might
    Offend someone. Hell needs to be taught, the fear of hell needs to be taught. It is a very real place, the worst place anyone would ever want to be and the last place we would want any of our loved ones to be. Just because we choose not to believe that hell is real.
    It will still be there in the end.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 12:03 AM
    We ll if he created everything he must have created hell
    No, God didn't create hell. Man creates hell.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 03:04 AM
    Some people like to believe that Hell is just an idea that was thought up to scare people into being good. Perhaps it's merely symbolic, others say. A look through the Bible shows that Hell was spoken of in both the Old and New Testaments. Examining how God speaks of this place will help us understand what Hell is all about. What God has said about it, rather than opinion and traditions, should be our only guide...

Is Hell a real place? According to the Bible it is. Jesus spoke more about Hell than Heaven, and few would suggest that Heaven is just a myth. In response to those that say the language may only be figurative, consider the purpose of the passages being referenced. God wanted us to understand, in human terms, the awesome terribleness of this spiritual thing. If the wording is figurative, using terms equated to earthly things to allow us to understand it, consider how much worse the real place must be.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 03:52 AM
    Biggsie, Good post.

There are so many meanings and definitions , etc.

I have a question for you Biggsie. Jesus went to hell for three days. Is that meaning the Grave, Death? Or does that mean the literal hell?

Mar 8, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mae

Preachers today seem to sidestep hell. It's not a popular subject to preach on, it might
    offend someone. Hell needs to be taught, the fear of hell needs to be taught. It is a very real place, the worst place anyone would ever want to be and the last place we would want any of our loved ones to be. Just because we choose not to believe that hell is real.
    It will still be there in the end.
    I do not believe in God,jesus etc but if I did and some precher started going on about hell the way in descibe it my kids would not be able to sleep I am so glad I do not go to church is that why people go they have been brainwashed as children and are petrified now.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Mar 8, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Altenweg... I think that quote's from a movie (can't remember which one) but I'm pretty sure it's not from the bible. :P It's an interesting line though.

The idea of hell has always bothered me. Whatever you believe hell to be, the idea is that it's a place of suffering in some way. Although, if it is just to cease to exist... I don't see it as being so very bad. Eternity is a long time... nothingness might be quite relaxing in the long run.

But the idea that ANYONE; rapists, paedophiles, serial killers or anyone at all, deserves an eternity of torment is just... horrific. I cannot think of a single action that justifies it. And the way people have often told me that God is all-loving, and then continued on to say that if I don't devote myself to Jesus I'll go to hell is just so... hypocritical.

Hell is implied to be many things. But I can't think of any reason for which an individual could actually deserve to be sent there.

Kal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did god make some people ugly and others good looking [ 30 Answers ]

I'm just so mad at everything all my friends are pretty and I'm the only ugly one around everyone tells me that I look ugly... even a person who I though was my friend said I was ugly I don't know why some people are born gorgeous... and others are born so ugly do you choose to be what you look...

Will a Soul be sent to Hell if religion is practiced that doesn't fully surround God [ 12 Answers ]

I am constantly wondering whether a soul will be sent to hell if a religion is practiced that doesn't fully surround the teachings of God. Like Buddhism for example. I'm constantly hearing that if you don't believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins then you will not be able to enter Heaven and...

View more questions Search