Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indebtfornow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Debt Settlement-What should I do
    I enrolled in a program with Debt Shield about a year ago. I have since ended the program and settled 2 of the 4 cards on my own. The other 2 are with the same company, Discover Card, and on one account they filed suit. I answered the summons and countersued. It was been almost 2 months since I answered the summons and I have not heard anything from the courthouse yet. The law firm representing Discover has called me and offered me a settlement which I agreed to pay but I requested they send me information stating that the account would be settled and that they would report the information to the credit bureaus and I would not owe anything else. This was done on the 22nd of December. Since then I have received nothing and they have not taken the money out of my account. I have called the law firm and left messages and they never return my call. What should I do? It seems a little strange that I have to pursue the debt collector but I have the money to settle these accounts and I want the issue over so I can start to restore my credit. The law firm had offered me a settlement on both accounts. Any advice on what I can do or what my options are would be greatly appreciated. Also note that I have called discover and they would not even speak to me in reference to the issue, they directed me right to the law firm. Thanks
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Send a letter to the law firm by certified mail. In the letter lay out the terms of the conversation you had with them--that they offered to settle and that you agreed, subject to your conditions. Then say that you are still willing to enter into this settlement and that they should respond in writing.
    wanttosettle Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
    What did you countersue for? Also, how hard was it to leave debtshield? I've been with Debtshield for a year and a half and am fed up. I started with nine accounts, but only two were settled by them. I'm down to three accounts, which are all subsidiaries of citibank. I want to leave now, but don't know how to go about doing it? I don't know how to contact my creditors now, and what was a seven thousand dollar debt, is now 14,000. I don't know where to even start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt settlement programs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to everyone; I signed up with a debt settlement program and feel that I have been left out to sink or swim for myself. Not sure if I should mention there name however can anyone tell me what my rights are if I sign with this company or can I sign with another debt settlement company that...

Should I do Debt Settlement? [ 34 Answers ]

We are $65,000 in debt, (unsecured credit card debt)!! We have looked into LAWGISTIX AND SUPERIOR FINANCIAL GROUP. We are very hesitant to proceed because we have a credit score in the 700 range. We are current in all of our payments, never late, and in good standing. BUT, it is getting difficult...

Debt settlement [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had any luck with a settlement company for debt? I'm going through the company, Superior debt relief. Of course, I thought I did my research but everything sounds the same when comes to these companies. I checked the BBB in the area that this co. is in and no complaints in 36months and...

Debt settlement [ 6 Answers ]

This is my first and hopefully the only time that I do a debt settlement. It sounds almost to good to have your debt settled by almost 50%. I'm thinking about going through the company, expert financial services to settle. Is this company reputable. And how can a debt settlement have the power so...

Debt settlement [ 1 Answers ]

I signed up for a debt consumber relief group. But the calls are driving me crazy, they don't return my calls and now I'm getting notices in the mail from Lawyers thretening to sue if I don't pay. Has anyone had to deal with this before, I'm scared I'm not sure what to do, I don't have money to...

View more questions Search