Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SEE ME 123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 12:41 PM
    antique sewing machine
    hello I have an old antique singer sewing machine from the 1800s all orignal, I was just wanting to know if maybe you would know the value of something that old, thankyou:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
    It is hard to say, is it in a table, what is the condition, all orignal including all parts. Is it in working condition/

There are some in near perfect condition where I see the asking price of about 1000. But I see most selling in the few hundred of dollars.
    SEE ME 123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It is hard to say, is it in a table, what is the condition, all orignal including all parts. Is it in working condition/

There are some in near perfect condition where I see the asking price of about 1000. But I see most selling in the few hundred of dollars.

Yes it does have an old table that its in,
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:08 PM
    I have the sewing machine below antique dealers say they are only worth sentimental value at the same time they have a very plain basic one selling for $150. So I do not trust antique dealers. They want you to practically donate your antique for a few dollars and turn around and sell them for 150% profit.
    Collectors give the best value if it is something they have been searching for.

this site might give you an idea but I have never been able to find a good site on antique sewing machine values and I have really looked because I see this ? A lot.
    Selling it on a site like Ebay might work for you too.

How much is my machine worth?
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Is this one that has been in your family a long time. Even if it hasn't been, I would like to also add the following concerning the "value" of your machine, if you don't mind.

A quote from the following link: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/applian...ine-82594.html

Quote:
    Originally by Clough

A lot of people will say that the old machines don't have much value because they keep appearing in yard and garage sales, etc.

However, some of the machines from the early era of them can be quite beautiful in the artwork on the machines themselves and also in the cabinetry work.

They can make a nice display in the home if you get creative and put some things around them that are also from the same era from when they were made. Conversation pieces.

In my home, almost every piece of furniture has a story behind it.

Your machine already has a sentimental value to you because of it's history in your family. Whether it has much monetary value depends on its condition, beauty and what someone would want to pay for it.

If it were mine, and had belonged to one of my relatives, like parents or grandparents, and it were truly an antique, which it looks like yours probably is, then I would want to hang on to it, for myself, and also for my children.
    taryn2nd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Does anyone know the year this sewing machine was made? I have one also but mine is a much darker wood and would like to find out more on it's history.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 06:11 AM

If it is the same as the picture of mine it was made somewhere between 1900 and 1920.
    Most likely more between 1902 and 1915.

I really don't know the history but I know that is the time
    taryn2nd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Thanks for the help :).

Mine is a darker wood as well. Does that make a difference?
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 07:13 PM

No they really don't go up in value over any differences like that.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 10:56 PM
    Old thread that is attracting piggybacks.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Velox antique treadle sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

My sister has a Velox treadle sewing machine. I haven't been able to find anything about it on the web. I have run out of places to look. Any suggestions on where to find some info?

New willard antique sewing machine [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone I need some info on a antique sewing machine called new willard what year it was made was it a treadle machine or came in a cabinet if anyone has a pic that would be even better :)

Antique sewing machine [ 5 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not. I have an old(? ) treadle sewing machine in a fold-away wooden cabinet. It is a "Beaver" sewing machine and I have not been able to find any information on it at all. Can anyone help me with finding out how much it is worth, or where to...

Antique sewing machine [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I found a sewing machine my grandmother used to have. I don't know what model or make it is... all the machine says is "Western" on the side of it and it has a plate on the right hand side that says "Model 300" and it has some sort of serial number E658732. Please find a picture enclosed....

View more questions Search