Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    realtor314 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Replacing a sill plate
    On a recent home inspection the inspector noted wood damage to a section of the sill plate at the font wall of the basement near the base of the stairs; replacing the damaged wood is advised.

Can you replace a sill plate or a section of the sill plate in a home that's 64 years old?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Yes you can, but depending on how long the damage piece is will depend on how difficult it will be. Can you send us a pic of the rotten wood?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Glavine is correct. Once you cut the sill plate front to back in the center you can pry it up, both ends will then come lose. The new sill needs to slide under the door frame rails so some fine tuning will be needed. Most carpenters will tell you to use pressure treated lumber for the new plate, you don't want white wood touch concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

Decorative Swith Plate or Wall Plate and Switches [ 5 Answers ]

We're looking to replace our standard switch plates with "decorative" plates, mainly in the kitchen backsplash. We have seen plenty of options for the plates, from pewter to copper to nickel, etc. Are there options for the actual switches themselves? Can we get switches, such as simple light...

Sill Plate [ 5 Answers ]

When building a structure, what are the pro's and con's of a pressure treated treated sill plate and a bottom "Shoe". I have heard that I should use just the sill plate, and others say put another plate on top of that one.. I am wit's end as I need to have this built ina few weeks and before I...

Sill in love [ 2 Answers ]

I'm dating my ex-boyfriends friend but the thing is I still have feelings for my ex-boyfriend, but hey don't get me wrong I really like this guy cause he's really good to me, but ever since I started dating this guy people are always telling me how much my ex-boyfriend really liked me and now I'm...

Drywall with no sill plate for support [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has the superior wall system which includes furring strips every 16 inches vertically, but no sill plate or top plate to support the drywall horizontally. Is this a problem? Specifically, should I try to install some sort of sill plate to provide support for the...

View more questions Search