Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnmameli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastfun1 View Post
    That is a funny post... seeing as I'm actuallly a Branch Manager for JP Morgan Chase!!!
    It's not that funny, you lame-brain!!
    Jaykid007 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 08:36 PM

I'd rather pay $5 and get the money then put it in your bank, have it try to clear, and it bounces. Then you will have to pay a reclamation fee of $15 which is 3 times more and not have your money still. Or better yet, you spent the money and then the bank debits your account because the check bounced... hmm, the $5 sounds pretty darn good now.
    albundy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 04:14 AM
    A tad late, but if you can do anything to them go get them!

To everyone defending the bank... does Chase charge Bank of America a fee or vice versa? If he had deposited the check in his account with BofA would Chase charge BofA a $5.00 fee when they presented the check for payment or does BofA have an account with Chase?

Please answer that one Chase branch manager!
    albundy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 04:14 AM
    A tad late, but if you can do anything to them go get them!

To everyone defending the bank... does Chase charge Bank of America a fee or vice versa? If he had deposited the check in his account with BofA would Chase charge BofA a $5.00 fee when they presented the check for payment or does BofA have an account with Chase?

Please answer that one Chase branch manager!
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 27, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Screw banks... become a credit union member...
    Dougright Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 02:38 PM
    The citation to the Comptroller of the Currency and Federal Law - as most have indirectly noted - misses the point. It's a matter of contract law and the law of negotialble instruments the shoiuld control, i.e. the contract between the depositor and his or her bank which should require that it honor properly presented checks drawn on good funds. If I write 30 checks a month to my creditors and they all present them to the bank without themselves having an account there - I should anticipate adding $150 to my monthly payments for "shorting" my creditors $5 each. As I build a house - shudder to think the additional thousands if all of the checks for labor and materials were presented to my bank and I had to pay another $5 to each payee who was otherwise "shorted." Short answer would be a different banking arrangement with a local bank who valued my business and understood they couldn't hide dishonesty behind "policy" and expect to survive much l much less thrive as a local bank.
    n7zsd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 10:21 PM
    <soap box mode on>
    I've been playing this game with a bank here. Even with my cafeteria plan account they want to charge me . THIS IS MY MONEY FOLKS. Money that I elected to have put into this account from my paycheck. I am the only one that checks are written to on this account and still they charge me $5. It is NOT a security/forgery issue as someone has mentioned here, they usually require 2 ID's and a thumbprint. That should be sufficient. If the tellers are not smart enough to realize that the person standing in front of them is not the person on the ID, then they shouldn't be working in a bank. If they would just admit that it is pure greed, I would be happy with that answer. But you know they won't. The canned response is "It's just our policy". Someone above stated the fact that the law does not require a bank to cash such a check, and they have the legal right to charge for it. Still doesn't make it right. In Idaho it's legal to put your kids in the back of a pickup truck and go down the freeway at 75mph as long as the anyone in the cab has a seat belt on. It's legal, but it doesn't make it right. A little common sense goes a long way folks, and big business has forgotten what common sense means.

Here's the answer for most banks. Ask them if there is a minimum amount of the check that they will charge you for. In my case it is anything under $50 they will not charge the fee. In my case for the cafeteria account, I just have the payroll gal write me several checks for $49.99. It really ticks of the bank manager which is worth it! Not only does it waste the tellers time cashing all those checks, but I get the satisfaction of walking out with a S**t eating grin on my face. I hate big banks. My bank does NOT charge this fee to non-account holders. I refuse to hold an account on a bank that does, as I do not want my friends/family to have to pay the fee when I write them a check. Ok, I'm done venting... <soap box mode off>
    Ignatz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 02:33 AM
    In my dispute with pnc, I repeatedly pointed out that the uniform commercial code states that a check is payable upon presentation to the bank and I am presenting it to them and I expected payment. The banker just acted like a dumb moron.

cparsley69 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 09:16 PM
    Comment on stevetcg's post
    Sure because I bet you never paid a fee in your life its not right to charge people to cash there own check and its also not nice to make fun of the poor that's what your doing right there now you're a fatcat the fee never does anything to you

Oct 19, 2010, 09:22 PM
    Comment on stevetcg's post
    Because you got more money then anyone has that's why your not against it but us poor people you sure pick on us you don't post to charge someone to cash there own check I will soon have it stopped once and for all no wonder the world is losing money

Oct 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Don't you all know that there's familys out there that have low income every month time they cash there check the banks are getting $ 5 dollars per check that's really not fair at all making fun of the poor if it wasn't for people like us banks would not be in business today they should be happy it's the people that counts nothing more this sorry world is losing money everyday what does the banks do with all that money they make off people everyday hmm they keep saying they are not helping people with getting loans out the banks makes over million dollars off people with this check cashing scam trying to black mail people in getting a checking account from them so they can charge you for overdrafts that's how banks work so they can get more money off you so they can stay in business all of you never say anything about it because you got more money then some people like me I am a poor person that gets low income every month only reason I am here to stand up for what's right and what is wrong if you all believe this black mail scam its your business but it will soon be stopped once and for all
    THPete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Absolutely rediculas any bank can charge a fee to cash a check drawn on that same bank! That check is legal tender. Mr. Bank manager of JPM Chase your rediculas and should check yourself. Banks are raping the consumer will all these frivolous fee's and have forced congress to make laws governing what banks should have been doing out of common decency all along. This is a prime example of why we have to go to extremes and regulate businesses which should be left alone.
    Already Been Th Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Mister Branch Manager for no bank, you need to check your actual facts before you make a claim like that.

In fact, any person who accepts a check from another person or company is free to call the issuing bank, and verify that sufficient funds are available to cover the check. The bank teller you speak with will simply tell you yes or no, and ask for the number of the check.

Been there, done that a LOT of times!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is needed to charge some one with back check writing [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering what kind of proof is necessary in order for some to attempt to press charges against some one else with bad check writing? And what is the charge a felony or a misdemeanor?:confused:

Rent check was returned what can my landlord charge? [ 5 Answers ]

My rent check was returned for "uncollected funds". My landlord now wants me to pay a fee of $35.00 for each check that was returned by THEIR bank. When I read the lease, it looks like I only owe a $35.00 fee for my check. The lease states: LATE FEE COSTS AND RETURNED CHECKS: If any...

I am unable to cash my check. [ 4 Answers ]

My bank account was frozen a few months ago by a debt collector.I just became a sole proprietor working as a subcontractor for a company. I need to cash my checks. What happens if I open another account with a different bank? Is there any way that this could be done? What if I open in...

Was paid with cash and check, no 1099 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am an F-1 OPT student who did some freelance work last year. I earned about $4500 from one job, $1200 from another and $1000 from the last. The thing is, I have not received tax paper work from the job that I earned $4500 from. I couldn't get in touch with my employer. I realize now...

Cash an international check in australia [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know where in Australia I can cash an international cheque on the spot?:confused:

View more questions Search