Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sp6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 08:41 AM
    1099 Misc and W2 form (social security withheld), F1-visa
    Hello there!

Will really appreciate if someone can help me with filing of my tax return for 2008.

I am on F1-visa, Nationality Indian. I worked in a company as CO-OP (practical training) while I was in school. I graduated in summer and joined the same company on October as independent contractor. I therefore received both W2 and 1099 Misc forms from my company.

1099Misc -
    From my research so far, I understand that the amount earned as independent contractor should appear in box-7 under nonemployee compensation. However, my 1099 Misc contains the amount mentioned in box-3 as other income. I want to ask you should I still file Schedule C form for the same. Also, Can I deduct my traveling expenditure to the job location from my home as other expenses, though I did not have a car I use local commuting services for the same.

W2 form -
    My W2 form shows a Social Security tax withheld and Medicare withheld. Are we supposed to pay social security tax and medicare tax while working on F1-visa (both on CPT and OPT).

Kindly guide your response will be highly appreciated.

RegardsThanks
    Sp
    Ammama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Where can I get a Copy of my W-2 for free and on line?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Tax not withheld [ 4 Answers ]

I will be working overseas for 1 year as a consultant. My employer will not withhold any taxes, including FICA. How do I pay file and pay the Medicare tax next year at tax time?

Social Security & Medicare Taxwes Wrongly Withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of INDIA and I came to US in Aug '03 as a student with a F1 visa. I graduated in Dec '05 and had my OPT started from Jan '06. I got my job in March '06 and I converted my visa from F1 to H1 in Oct '06. So, I am assuming that I still fall under the radar of being exempt...

Social Security & Medicare Taxes Withheld Wrongly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about getting the refund for Soc Sec & Medicare Taxes which was wrongly withheld. I joined my company in Apr 2006 when I was in OPT and I converted my F1 to H1 in Oct 2006. My company or myself wasn't aware that employees who were in OPT were exempt from paying these two...

Social Security and Medicare not withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on H1B from Jan 03, 2006. I was earlier on F-1 CPT (till Jan 02, 2006) with the same employer. However, for the year 2006, social security and medicare taxes were not with held from my paycheck. My W2 colums in those to categories are blank. Please advice on a way to go forward......

Social Security / Medical Withheld during OPT - Format of Employee Letter to IRS [ 1 Answers ]

I was on OPT till July 13, 2005 and switched to H1 from July 14 2005. I am a NR Alien for Tax puropose as I have been on H1B < 183 days. My employer withheld Social Security and Medicare Tax while I was on OPT as they did not have a separate system for not taking those taxes. I want to file...

View more questions Search