Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Who is the most inspirational person in history?
    I'm just wondering who you would describe as the "most inspirational person in history" and why?

I've been trying to narrow it down and haven't had any luck. I have personal heroes (Lincoln) and favorites (Joan of Arc), but I'm not sure I could label them the most inspirational in history.

What do you think?

This is in no way a homework help or a school paper (Have my Masters, done with school... for now! ;) ) I'm simply a historian who loves history!
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 4, 2008, 08:03 AM
    This is a difficult because there are some many. I'm going to go with Nikola Tesla. Some people call him the father of electricity. Could you even imagine a world without electricity?

I like the inventors.. only problem lot of the inventors/scientist heroes stand on the shoulders of other inventor/scientist so its debatable what their level of importance is.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Mar 4, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Nelson Mandella,

Because he never lost the faith. They threw him in jail for 27 years, while in jail he worked to get his law degree and did get it. He came out when South African President Deklerck pardoned him and let him out, then they both received the Noble peace prize award and then he was elected President of South Africa. Now that's a humble man in my eyes. I don't know if I could keep the faith for 27 years and then become president and forgive the people who put me in prison.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Many here I assume would say Jesus. My favorite is George Washington. The Brits might say Winston Churchill. Another perhaps overlooked is Marcus Aurelius ,Roman Emperor and Philosopher .There are really too many to narrow down to one .
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Nicki Reading comprehension skills are a good thing. Clearly I said a Brit MIGHT say Churchill. But you avitar displays where you find inspiration.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
    I will say Churchill: "I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization." June 18, 1940
    Can you imagine Hillary or Obama uttering such words? They would have been under the table with Chamberlain.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 6, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Tom your bang on the money she may have been a dumb blonde but she knew how to make money and people still idolise her even now
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Mother Teresa -

That was an easy one. If I could only be so unselfish. She never judged, did things out of love.

I can't even find the words.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Mother Teresa -

That was an easy one. If I could only be so unselfish. She never judged, did things out of love.

I can't even find the words.
    Mother Teresa is one of my favorite persons, an icon. In a way, her actions speak louder than words.
    So, I'm a glutton; and have another that, after I heard or read it, never forgot: "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Churchill went on to say, in a universal way, comparing WW II to WW I: "In the last war millions of men fought by hurling masses of steel at one another. Prodigious slaughter was the consequence. In this war nothing of this kind has yet appeared. It is a conflict of strategy, organisation, technical apparatus, science, mechanics, and morale." It reminds one of the few casualties suffered by U.S. (U.N.) forces in overthrowing Saddam, in the face of predictions by naysayers of numerous casualties and body bags; also, another conveniently forgotten fact at this point in the Bush presidency.
    Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few | 1940-1949 | Guardian Century
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Muhammad Ali. Too hard to narrow it down to one.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:40 PM
    My very favorites.
    Mother Teresa
    Princess Di
    JFK
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Hhhmmm... interesting question HC , too many answers

Ok well Mother Theresa is an obvious I think , then people like Mark Twain , Thomas Edison , Sigmund Freud just to name a few.

... oh and my Dad.

Mar 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    many here I assume would say Jesus. My favorite is George Washington. The Brits might say Winston Churchill. Another perhaps overlooked is Marcus Aurelius ,Roman Emperor and Philosopher .There are really too many to narrow down to one .
    Winston Churchill was not someone who we were taught about in school yes we did about WW2 but to be honest more about Hitler than churchill.
    I bet if I asked any of my kids or there friends who churchill was they would say I do not know. But they would know about Hitler
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 03:12 AM
    Well read up about him then . Without his inspirational leadership England would've gone down to defeat.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 03:53 AM
    I know that this thread has been going on a little while now, and that you've sort of intimated as to what you mean by asking the question. But, for clarification, I just want to ask if you are asking this question because of wanting to know who we think is the most inspirational person in history in a global sense or on just a personal level?

Mar 7, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Well read up about him then . Without his inspirational leadership England would've gone down to defeat.
    Tom I do not want to read up on him my point was you say some Brits might say Churchill but kids of today and when I was growing up were not taught about churchill I suppose that is a bit of a shame really considering who he was and what he did.
    But my 11 year old daughter has just done a good couple of weeks work on The Beatles do not see any point in that myself although I suppose some fans might might disagree.

Who was more important in history the beatles or Winston Churchill?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I know that this thread has been going on a little while now, and that you've sort of intimated as to what you mean by asking the question. But, for clarification, I just want to ask if you are asking this question because of wanting to know who we think is the most inspirational person in history in a global sense or on just a personal level?
    Good question!

I'm a historian and I love learning about what makes people who they are - whether a people group, a nation, or an individual.

For me, inspiration comes from a wide array of people, events, writings, and actions.

This question is simply a personal quest to learn more about what inspires people all over the world. I'm not asking from an American or a British (or Australian, M! :) ) viewpoint, but from a person wanting to know what inspires you.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Mar 7, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 12:24 PM
    nicki Reading comprehension skills are a good thing. Clearly I said a Brit MIGHT say Churchill. But you avitar displays where you find inspiration.

Wow Tom I just saw this one.

First, Nicki has found a nice place in my heart.

I am sadly surprised at this response from you Tom. Maybe just a bad day?

Your little dig is beneath you. Sorry, I was just taken back and then it is compounded, by saying it to someone I find to be so special. Which is my Nicki girl.

Tom, just for as much as you and I have discussed other topics, I know in no way you meant it to be hurtful, but it's not something that normally comes from you.

And franlky I love Marllyn. And I bet she was far smarter then was let on, and something inside tells me she suffered great heartaches, tremendous ones, and yet, was able to keep smiling.

I find that to be inspirational.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Oh Tom sorry - I've had not the best day and if I jumped wrongly I am sorry.

I adore both you and Nicki.

Sorry guys. I'm in Fog land a bit.

Sorry Tom -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are you a cat person or a dog person? [ 91 Answers ]

I just was interested in how many people on here had pets. If you do, what species? Did you get them at a breeder or a shelter? What breeds? What do they look like? Do you have pics?:D

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Only person in state history to be charged with this... [ 3 Answers ]

I had an appointment with my lawyer and he told me that in this state, no one has ever been charged with "failure to be of good behavior" as a probation violation. I didn't not break any law, I didn't ignore a direct order from the judge and this has nothing to do with the reason I am on probation...

View more questions Search