Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hern172 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Bullet accuracy
    After a bullet leaves the barrel the speed of its spin gradually slows down right? And the slower the spin gets the less accurate it is. If I made a bullet that held the speed of its spin throughout its entire flight it would be more accurate at longer distances right?
    dwsdwedfw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Yes
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 03:38 AM

I don't think the frictional forces against spin are significant over the flight time of a normal bullet, which can be spinning at up to 5 kHz. If you spin it too much faster - the bullet can break up from centrifugal forces.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Nov 29, 2009, 12:32 PM

Capuchin is absolutely correct, and in any case the complexity/cost involved in getting the spin to remain constant (supposing it to be even possible) would outweigh any theoretical benefit to practical applications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bullet accuracy [ 2 Answers ]

If I could make a bullet that would spin faster and spin longer while it is out of the barrel would that make a big difference in the accuracy at longer distances.

Accuracy of a ruler [ 1 Answers ]

If a ruler does not start at zero at the edge, but have it set in a few millimeters. How can this improve the accuracy of the ruler?

Punching accuracy [ 1 Answers ]

How would I go about improve my punching accuracy and still keep my speed for it seem that when I put all my will to be accurate the speed at wich usely strike has decreese would you plese help me solve this problem.

Bullet speed ? [ 2 Answers ]

Help me settle a bet. If a man shoots a bullet out of a gun straight up in the air, upon the bullets descent when it returns down and is at the same height as it was initially fired what will its speed be? a) the same speed it left the gun Or b) terminal velocity

View more questions Search