Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eries Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Black Soot
    Checked my gas furnace filter and found it to be totally black. This condition occurred a few months earlier this year. The filter is changed monthly,so there were two filter changes that appeared normal. Is my flue loading? The furnace is 8yrs. Old.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 04:55 AM
    For a start, disconnect the furnace vent from where it goes into the chimney.
    Clean it out well in there.

Let us know if that takes care of it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:09 AM
    There should be absolutely no connection between the air filters and the combustion products of the furnace. Most furnaces have the filters in the intake side of the furnace. If the furnace was producing soot, it would have to leak through the heat exchanger, and then circulate through the house and back through the return. Any leak in the heat exchanger is a very serious problem, and unlikely to come and go.

I would look for other problems in the house. Could cooking misadventures have produced soot a couple of times? Check the return vents and see if any of them are extra dirty. That could give a clue were the soot is coming from.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Thanks, labman!

[Rick knuckles self on the forehead!!] :(

Of course! I was thinking of the soot that can get backdrafted due to an obstructed vent/chimney - which, of course, cannot get on the filter. Silly me - having a brain cramp.

Sorry 'bout that! :o
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 07:57 AM
    This could be extremely dangerous. If your furnace is producing soot for whatever reason, it is producing carbon monoxide too which would get into the supply air too. Carbon monoxide kills. I would open up the furnace and take a good look at the area from the filters to the blower to the heat exchanger. If there is soot in that area, I would take a careful look at the heat exchanger. It separates the air from the blower from the combustion chamber. If you see cracks, gaps, missing cover, streaks of soot on the air side, or any other way for carbon monoxide and soot to get from one side to the other, do something at once. If you do find soot in the blower area, and do not see where it came from, or how to fix a problem you do see, call a professional today.

This site is about people sharing knowledge to help people fix their problems themselves. You may or may not be able to find and fix the problem if the heat exchanger is leaking. If not, call a professional. There may a draft problem. If so, it needs fixed too, but even with a good draft, you will still be getting poisonous carbon monoxide in the house if the heat exchanger leaks.

Do you have a working carbon monoxide detector? If so, and it hasn't gone off, likely the heat exchanger is OK, and the soot hasn't come from the furnace.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Hi, eries,
    I have read the answers you have received so far... very good.
    I am 64 yrs old, and believe me, if I thought something serious was wrong, I would call a reputable repair person; not fooling with it myself!
    My suggestion is to call one.
    I do wish you the very best.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Since you have successfully changed the filter yourself, I think you should be able to open the housing and look and see if there is soot downstream of the filter. If there is, you might look further and see if something looks wrong.

There are some people that are better off not trying to do much. On the other hand, I have worked with many people here guiding them to successfully fixing the problem with their furnace. It is a shame you have let somebody talk you out of even looking at the problem.
    n6chr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 08:48 PM
    Another thing that causes a black furnace filter is burning candles in the home. That should be a consideration. A working carbon monoxide detector is a must these days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor goes black [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I know someone knows the answer to this. While I am sitting here writing papers, responding to AMHD, whatever, my monitor all of the sudden wiggles on the sides then goes black. I have to turn it off then back on again. All connections are tight, so that probably is not it. Does...

Ariens 13 HP oil getting black [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Ariens rear engine 13 Horsepower mower. It is a 2001 model. It has starting using oil. The oil starts turning black after 2 hours of usage. When I pull the dipstick to check the oil level its not totally black but some black will be on the bottom of the stick. The mower seems to run...

Black Lab Very Dry Skin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old black lab puppy with very dry skin. Puppy dandruff shampoo does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

Black heads [ 3 Answers ]

I have lots of black heads or little hair like growths on my whole back & butt. Don't know what causes them. It looks so bad. Is there any thing i can do about it? I am so embarrassed about it. Edven my husband has a clean back & butt being a man.

View more questions Search