Oceanography:I need the formula to find the time difference for longitude
    Help! I need to find out how to calculate the time difference... of:
    118 degrees 15'W and
    81 degrees 47'W

Please explain, I know you divide by 15 but?? :eek:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Are you trying to determine the difference in sunrise (or sunset) between the two longitudres? The earth rotates at 15 degrees per hour (that's because it turns a full 360 degrees in 24 hours), or 900 minutes/hour. Find the difference in longitude between the 2 points, and divide by 15 degrees/hour or 900 minutes/hour as needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is oceanography [ 3 Answers ]

What is oceanography

Difference of time function [ 1 Answers ]

How to program a problem that needs the difference of time..? example,the sorting started at 10:15 and ends at 10:30.so the difference time in order the numbers to be sorted is 15min..

Difference on powder formula and liquid? [ 2 Answers ]

My baby seems to dislike the powder formula he seems to throw up a lot more when I give him powder and makes it harder for him to poop, but when I give him liquid he doesn't have a hard time pooping... is there a difference in between these 2? I would really prefer to use the powder the doc said...

Latitude and Longitude [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know that is the Latitude and Longitude of Southern High School in Louisville Ky Please for Social Studies?

Difference in the Formula calulation [ 3 Answers ]

I am a software engineer. We are creating an efficiency report of employees. we have two reports detail and summary of efficiency of employees. while calculating detail report we are picking up each jobcard done by an employee . Following is the example formula applied is as follows ...

View more questions Search