Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiraldivine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Drug possession and custody
    I'm currently in a custody battle with my boyfriend against his ex girlfriend and their 4 yr old daughter. The mother has drug posession/intent to sell felony pending hearing. We have temporary custody with her mother seeing child alternating weekends and every Tues. and Weds. What started this was an order of protection for the daughter against the mother because she is a drug dealer selling ecstacy and the daughter told us that it looked like candy. The order of protection is still in effect, other than when she's with her mother. I need advice on continuing the order. We are also uncomfortable with our lawyer. Can the lawyer obtain her criminal records to use in court? If safety is obviously a concern, why is she allowd to see her child so much?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 08:20 PM
    It might be because you haven't changed the custody order to fit the situation. You can go back to court ( which you said your in ) and ask for supervised visitation because of ongoing problems and also ask that she be drug tested on a reguler basis if she is proven to have drugs in her system. As far as an order of protection so long as the situation exists you should be able to get it renewed if its about to expire. In some states they have an experation date ( like 2 1/2 or 3 years ) from the date of the order. I believe that court records are " public " records unless they are ordered sealed so yes your lawyer should be able to get copies and show them in court if your seeking a modification. Also remember that if you hire a lawyer then you can also fire them too. If your not comfortable with this one then your within your rights to seek out another more competent to your case at hand.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Yes, you need to go back to court for supervised visits. And yes criminal records ( convictions) are public knowledge and can be used in court.

Pending charges, ( remember innocent until proven guilty) is often hard to use in court, unless there was lot of oher previous convictions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000 x3, Possession Under 5000x2 [ 2 Answers ]

Im a 21 year old living in Ontario, Canada, and here's my dillemma: I had stolen a jacket ($149) from my employers store and then LP people caught me red handed. Then they took me back to the office and started blaming me for items which I hadn't taken, saying I tried to but didn't. I didn't say...

Custody review hearing and drug testing of a parent issues and concerns [ 3 Answers ]

On Jan. 19 2006 temporary joint legal custody was granted to my ex and myself with primary physical custody granted to the father and supervised visitation on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m granted to myself. The reason for this was I failed a drug test in court the day of first hearing. The catch...

Foreclosure redemption / deed in lieu possession? [ 10 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Does anyone know once a foreclosure has taken place what the redemption period might be on a non-owner occupied a.k.a. rental / investment property? I know it can vary with lenders - but is there a rule of thumb?...

Subletter rights - eviction & possession of property [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your immediate help. I have been traveling for several months during which time my friend sublet my apartment on my behalf. He did not receive or give anything in writing but made a verbal agreement and accepted cash for the first month. I have now returned to find that the...

Possession of Cocaine in New Brunswick, Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend that was charged with possession of a small amount of cocaine about 8 or 9 years ago in New Brunswick, Canada. He went into rehab before the court date and the court was notified. He has not answered this charge in all these years but was told at the time by the then chief of...

View more questions Search