Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 29, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Windows update
    I have had no updates from windows update since beging of December and auto updates are off.

If I go to the site it says 0 -0 - 0 -0 in all the catogerys but I haven't changed anything. Ihas there just been no updates??

If so then it's a miricel lol
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Jan 29, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Hi manutd4eva,
    You are right. I have been also noticing it. The windows update icon is not appearing in the taskbar now. I think I saw it 10 days back showing the progress of download but it did not ask the permission to install the downloads (as per my set up). I thought there are no downloads now a days.

I did not check the status but will do it tonight and we have to find out what happened to those guys.

Jan 29, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Cheers if you go on the site and pick custom all of the cat. Is 0
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 29, 2006, 06:52 AM
    It looks like there have been no patches or anything because I'm getting all the 0 0 0 0 too, I'm guessing if your set to auto install and update that its working and that's why no updates are showing as needed.

Jan 29, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Nope I've never had auto install.

Just think one night Microsoft release a broken patch and all the computers download them at 3am or whatever time they are set too. The next morning we wake up and all have no computers because some patch has messed them up lol

Jan 29, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Hey maybe M.S got all the problems fixed with windows lmfao now I know that's no wear near true... But it is odd. I'm going to give it another try later today will let you know if I find anything there.

Jan 29, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Cheers I hant had any since before xmas lol

That must be a M$ record

Jan 29, 2006, 07:13 AM
    You should also check your file wall settings as this can block updates. I used to have to set mine to off to update and then turn back on ASAP and do a full system scan.

Jan 29, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Mines off when I update thanks anyway

U must spead rep around lol

Jan 31, 2006, 10:09 AM
    After just reading this and not having any updates on windows update still I'm getting scared now!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4661582.stm
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 10:18 AM
    That's because the patch to fix this exploit was released some time ago so the chances are you already have it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 31, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manutd4eva
    after just reading this and not having any updates on windows update still im getting scared now!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4661582.stm
    If you think you may be infected with this then it's time for some major scanning.
    Best to use your installed AV and an online one like Trend Housecall.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 31, 2006, 10:44 AM
    It's the same old story.Virus,virus,virus.Panic,panic,panic.Always make sure your anti-virus is up to date,and never open any email attachment,your not sure of.Even if its from a friend/work,just phone them and ask,if your worried.If they say no,delete it.Safety at all times.

Jan 31, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Cheers it's that sometimes I put my computer on a network and other people play with it but I personally don't open email attachments etc its just one 3/feb I don't want to find out someone else has!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Hi,
    Just for more information, I use Win98SE, and do not use all the Updates; because some of them cause pure "havoc" with 98SE. After experiencing this, and in the past having to reinstall 98SE after downloading particular ones, I know I would have some showing at the Windows Update.

I went to: (on Wed, 10:33 am EDT):
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

After running the scan, it does show all the updates I don't have for 98SE.
    It works as usual for me.
    Best wishes.

Feb 1, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Cheers I still get none though that's why I think it may be my PC. I haven't used update since December so surly they have realsed some in the last month.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 10:09 AM
    ManU - you might have automatic updates on. The PC may be downloading them without you realising.

Feb 1, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Nope ots definitely not on. It says turn auto updates on ill do a print screen and post it here.

Feb 1, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Hi I have done printscreens these are at:

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/2...update13el.jpg

And

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/5...update28hu.jpg

Feb 2, 2006, 09:44 AM
    So manu did the computer go BANG today?? Hope not??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP update [ 12 Answers ]

Can someone tell me why when I download the service pack 2 (update) for windows xp and I restart the computer it says error? And a blu page popup telling that windows has encounter a problem and it can not be started What do I have to do I try the same thing 4 times and the problem persist...

Security Update for Windows XP, 12 April 2005 [ 5 Answers ]

Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) Typical download size: 1.2 MB, 1 minute A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your...

Can't update windows xp [ 5 Answers ]

i can't update my windows xp...sometimes a bubble will pop up in my taskbar and say "new updates are available"...i'd click on it and it will ask me to install the new updates...it would go into the process of installing then stop and say something like "the cd key is not valid"...then it will end...

Windows XP update failures after Service Pack 2 installation [ 2 Answers ]

Since installing XP Service Pack 2, the few updates that have occurred subsequently have all failed to install after downloading. Downloading seems to reach 95% completion normally and then slows right down. 'failed' then appears against the update name.

Windows update [ 4 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm not sure but I think I may have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update 823559 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 19 security updates with this...

View more questions Search