Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veiloffright Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Can I benefit the India-USA Tax treaty ?
    Hi, I had come to USA on L1-B visa. I spent around 150days in USA and then went back. My sponsor for L1-B visa is L&T Infotech (USA) but ultimately the salary is borne by Larsen and Toubro Limited the sister company based in INDIA. As per the Tax treaty read in Pub. 901 Pg 7 of 52 which goes...

Income that residents of India receive for personal services performed in the United States as employees (dependent personal serv-ices) is exempt from U.S. income tax if the re-sidents meet three requirements:
    [1] They are present in the United States for no more than 183 days during the tax year.
    [2] The income is paid by, or on behalf of, an who is not a resident of the United States.
    [3] The income is not borne by a permanent establishment, fixed base, or trade or business the employer has in the United States.

In the current scenario, I meet [1] as my stay is only 150days. I also meet [2] in the sense that my income is paid on behalf of a sister company - Larsen and Toubro Limited, based in INDIA, who is not a resident of the United States.

Could someone throw light on this subject - Can I benefit the India-USA Tax treaty ?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by veiloffright
    Hi, I had come to USA on L1-B visa. I spent around 150days in USA and then went back. My sponsor for L1-B visa is L&T Infotech (USA) but ultimately the salary is borne by Larsen and Toubro Limited the sister company based in INDIA. As per the Tax treaty read in Pub. 901 Pg 7 of 52 which goes .......

Income that residents of India receive for personal services performed in the United States as employees (dependent personal serv-ices) is exempt from U.S. income tax if the re-sidents meet three requirements:
    [1] They are present in the United States for no more than 183 days during the tax year.
    [2] The income is paid by, or on behalf of, an who is not a resident of the United States.
    [3] The income is not borne by a permanent establishment, fixed base, or trade or business the employer has in the United States.

In the current scenario, I meet [1] as my stay is only 150days. I also meet [2] in the sense that my income is paid on behalf of a sister company - Larsen and Toubro Limited, based in INDIA, who is not a resident of the United States.

Could someone throw light on this subject - Can I benefit the India-USA Tax treaty ?
    You must have received W2 form stating your income and taxes withheld. If yes, it is U.S. source income. File return as nonresident and disclose all the income received in the U.S.

If you did not get W2, and also you did not submit W4 to your employer, then give more details about how you are being paid.
    veiloffright Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    You must have received W2 form stating your income and taxes withheld. If yes, it is U.S. source income. File return as nonresident and disclose all the income received in the U.S.

If you did not get W2, and also you did not submit W4 to your employer, then give more details about how you are being paid.
    Yes I did receive W2, but I querried with my employer and they confirmed that I can apply for the treaty as the taxes withheld were because I did not apply for tax exemtion.

As a L1-B visa holder I have been transferred from Company A (Foreign Employer - INDIA) to Company B (Resident Employer - Sister of Company A in USA) to perform software development on behalf of Company A in USA. Company B is paying me the wages, but Company B is getting reimbursed by Company A. As per this Company B cannot claim deduction for paying me wages. Also being less than 183 days I have to pay taxes on foreign income back in INDIA. Hence to avoid double taxation, can I use this treaty ? Do I need to get a statement from Company B that they are getting reimbursed by Company A and hence they cannot claim deductions for wages paid to me ?

This seems quite straight but am not able to come to a conclusion. Can I get some concrete answer ?

--Thanks
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 07:58 PM
    There is no tax treaty benefit for income on L1 if it is received from the U.S. sources. L1 is work permit visa. It is not a student visa or J1 visa to students, professors or researchers.
    MrSimple Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    There is no tax treaty benefit for income on L1 if it is received from the U.S. sources. L1 is work permit visa. It is not a student visa or J1 visa to students, professors or researchers.

I know companies which are india based and they provide L1 visa for their employees.
    Does that mean they are a US based company??
    Treaty says that income should not be bourne by a company which is is permanent resident of US.Dont you think that in this case the company employees can claim the India - US tax treaty benefit?
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 12:10 AM
    You will pay tax in the US on the wages paid in the US (on your W2).
    When you file in India, claim credit for taxes paid in the US. It can't be other way round.

If a US citizen works in India, he/she pays taxes in India and then claim foreign tax credit by filing Form 1116.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visiting professor ,h1b ,tax treaty benefit [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I came to US from UK in Jan 2006 as a visiting professor doing research and teaching in a University.I will be going back in May this year.I am a resident alien for tax purposes.I will be grateful if you can answer the following questions.. 1 ) Am I eligible for tax exemption under the...

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk: I am a postdoc in life sciences. I came here from China in 1999 as a F1 student and now hold H1B visa. Our payroll still files W9 form for me which claims the tax-treaty Article 20(c) - $5000 is tax-free. I am just wondering whether this is correct. Thank you very much.

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

Tax refund and Treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian research scholar on J1. I came to US in Aug 2005 and will be returning back to India in April 2007. I have been paying tax ever since I came here and my wife has been working since Jan 2006. She has also been paying her taxes. Does the tax treaty with India allow us to claim a full...

Who profits from USA-India Nuke Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

In dollars and cents, what companies in the United States will profit from the sale of nuclear components to India?

View more questions Search