Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachel101 Posts: 77, Reputation: 19

Mar 3, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Genie Garage Door Malfunction
    I have an 8 year old Genie Chain Glide Series GCG or PCG garage door opener. Worked fine until recently when it started making a grinding sound while closing and needed a little tug to get it through the "tough" spot. I cleaned and re-oiled the runners. Still had the problem. I read the manual and worked with the "close force" screw. Turned it all the way to the tight position and door still can't get itself through the rough spot where it grinds. I do believe the "close force" screw is working because with more or less tension I can or cannot perform the contact reverse test. My question is that since the unit itself runs but simply cannot close the door is it safe to assume the unit is good? Or can a unit appear to work yet lack close force strength? Or are my worst fears realized and it must be the something misaligned?
    Any advice would be most appreciated. I live in a very remote area and it is next to impossible to get any techs up the mountain for repairs and local handymen are real hit and miss in this town.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
    I would pull the emergency release cord so that you can raise and lower the door manually. Do this with the door open. Now, slowly lower the door by hand and see if you can feel any binding or grinding. You should be able to hear where it is coming from. It could be a track is misaligned or a simple lubrication problem.

Note: as you lower the door for the first time, do not stand directly in the door's path. If your door spring is broken/weak, the door may come down FAST with a lot of force. You don't want to be in its way if this happens.

Once you know/fix the problem, raise the door back up and let it click into the opener shuttle (where you pulled the cord) and you should be back in business.

Good Luck, and be careful!
    WallyH
    greyhair Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Hi, I don't know a lot about door openers but as a suggestion disconnect the door from the opener and see if it operates smoothly. If it operates smoothly then check all of the door rollers and track. Also check to see that the door is pulling up the track straight and is not going up crooked.
    Hope this helps
    Greyhair
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 20, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Yep do just that, could be one spring is tighter than the other or if you have a single spring above the garage door header one cable may be looser than the other. If it is not commimg down smoothly your chain guide rail may be pushing upwards causeing the guide to bind up at the splices.
    Mike

Mar 20, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Will I have done all these things and have got most of the bugs worked out of it. It opens with the Genie just fine. There is still a glitch in the closing. When I disconnect it and close it manually I can feel that there is one point where it takes a bit more pressure but haven't been able to identify the cause yet. It worked well for several years so I am guessing the framework is okay but I suppose the tension could have gotten out of whack or I really like the idea that maybe the chain guide rail could be pushing upward rather than straight. I will look at these possibilities and let you know if I get it all worked out.

You guys are great and this site is proving out that a lady can depend on the kindness of strangers for construction advice. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
    If you can feel a glitch in the closeing I would also check all the bolts holding the track to the brackets that are connected to the wall. It should be a 7/16" nut. If you look inside the track you will see the rounded end of the bolt. If you see one that is real shiney or scratched up... you may have found your culpret.
    Mike

Mar 20, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Great idea, I will look for that too. Thank you.
    I tried to add to your reputation but it wouldn't let me because I already told you were great once today!

Mar 20, 2008, 11:29 PM
    LOL thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

2005 Dodge Caravan Side Door Malfunction [ 1 Answers ]

My 2005 Dodge Caravan's left side door malfuntions in cold weather (less than 15 degrees F). The door will open appropriately but when the door reaches its opening endpoint it will not stay open. The door closes itself automatically. There is no malfunction at warmer temperatures. Any solutions...

Garage DOOR [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering will my car insurance cover a garage door I loss power to my truck on slope drive way, called road service, wanted open the hood so when he show up we be ready, due to the fact I NEVER OPEN MY HOOD,I accidentally pulled the E Brake release and back into th garage door... Its a door...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search