Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xdt001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:54 AM
    How to deduct $5k tax treaty exemption from 1040nr
    Hi,
    While working under OPT in 2007, I got W2 from my emploer recently, not 1040 misc. As a chinese non resident, am I still eligible for the $5k US-CHINA tax treaty exemption? Or the exemption is only eligible for contracting worker which I was not in 2007? If I am eligible, where should I fill in the 1040nr to deduct the $5k?
    Thanks a lot
    John
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 09:40 PM
    On line 8 you will report your total income minus $5,000. On line 22 you will write $5,000.
    xdt001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT Tax Treaty Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on OPT starting Aug 07 and before that was an F-1 student from Indonesia. I currently work full time and I've been in the States for less than 5 years. From the website below, is that true that I need to wait for my 1042-S before I can file my taxes and receive treaty exemption of $2000 ? And I...

Tax treaty exemption [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently on a tax treaty exemption Belgium/USA and on a J-1 visa. The time for the tax exemption is 2 years. What I want to know is, if I decide to stay on for another year following the two years, will I have to back-pay tax or will I just have to pay the tax on the third year?

Tax treaty exemption and filing status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband came to the US in 2004 and works as a research scientist at a university. According to Article 19 of the tax treaties between China and the United States, he is exempted from federal tax. We got married in 2006 and we are considering filing our taxes jointly this year. If we do file...

Tax treaty exemption [ 2 Answers ]

I joined university as a reasearcher on H1B June 13, 2006. According to tax treaty, I am exempted from federal and state tax for 3 years (June 13, 2006-June, 2009). So I am a non-resident alien and should file form 1040NR, right? Many thanks.

US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption...

View more questions Search