Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AaronFABIO Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:53 AM
    House vacant for year rust buildup
    I am in a house that sat vacant for about a year with no running water. When I replaced one faucet in the bathroom I noticed a lot of build up of rust or clay in the drain pipes. Would a snake help or is there a need to replace all of the plumbing? Or is there something that is environmentally friendly that I can run through the drains? I am purchasing the home, so I'd like to know what I'm getting into.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Hi Aaron... well, if drains sat dry that long, when you run water down the pipes anything that was in the drain has dried up and now when re-wetted may start to clog the drain lines... You can try some of the chemical drain cleaners for this (sold at home supply stores)... but chemical or snake will be determined by just how clogged drains were before the water was shut off.

I think the bigger issue here will be your toilets... toilet parts do not like to sit dry for very long, so be aware and test your toilet tank for leaks (drop food color drop into toilet tanks overnight and see if color shows up in bowls). If color shows then need to replace the flappers.. maybe the flush valve and fill valve, too... depending on how old was before water was shut down.

I would also drain the water heater (if present) and flush the water heater (hook hose onto drain at water heater and with water on full, open the drain and flush for 10-15 minutes).

CHECK THIS STUFF OUT... GET BACK TO ME.
    AaronFABIO Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 01:54 PM
    The toilet tanks are actually fine. I did test these first. The only issues that I have seen are from my bathroom sink and one side of my kitchen sink. I also, just this weekend, replaced the bath faucet and when I turned the water back on in the house, all of the faucets pushed out some sort of red rusty sediment. I don't know if this is rust build up or if this is because of the part of the city (charlottesville, va) that I'm in.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Flush the water heater and the water lines. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find out who owns a vacant property [ 2 Answers ]

A house in our neighborhood has been vacant and neglected for over a year. Is there any way to find out who owns it without paying for website/search fees? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Weed Killers for Vacant Lots [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya, I have it in my head that this town just needs a guy to kill weeds on mostly vacant lots at a reasonable price. I am exploring that Idea. If folks don't kill the weeds, they will be paying for lot clearing. I live in the Mohave valley where, of course, it is very hot and humid this time...

NJ vacant land, squatters rights [ 10 Answers ]

We live in monmouth county and have an empty lot across from us. Since we have lived here 7 years, it has been mowed the first 3 years, then once for 2 years, and hasn't been mowed for the past 2 years. We want to know if we start taking care of that property and harvest some crops there would we...

18 year old driving my out of my house [ 3 Answers ]

I am living in total chaos right now and not sure what to do. I am in a blended family for the last 7 years. My spouse has 2 sons and I have 3 girls. Right now his 18 year old son has manipulated, lied and now completely disrespected me to the point that I now have completely removed myself from...

Rust buildup in well inflow pipe(hose) [ 2 Answers ]

I have rust buildup in the one inch pipe (hose)that runs from my well into the house. The hose that runs from the pump to the point where it exits the well is clean. The buildup is only from the point wherethe pipe (hose) exits the well and goes to the house. This is seemingly reducing water...

View more questions Search