Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Fasting
    Has anybody here have any experience in Fasting? What is taught about Fasting. Thank you in advance.

Joe
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 28, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Back in the day (way back) I was a vegetarian and would fast as a way to cleanse the body of impurities.As I remember it takes a few weeks of preparation to get to the point of being able to fast as fasting can shock the system if not done right.The first day is nothing but water and juices for 24 hrs,and eat healthy for 3 days,then water and juices for 48 hrs,again 3days of healthy eating,then 72 hrs of water and juices followed by 3 days of healthy eating this continues until a week of fasting is achieved,By healthy eating I ate only fruit and vegatables and grains along with a vitamin supplement b-complex, magnesium,zinc vitamin e,Not only was my weight down and low body fat I felt great and slept very well and had a high energy level.I advise anyone thinking of fasting to research it first and get a physical before hand. A doctor can recommend the kind of vitamins to take.I recommend meditation also as the body is cleansed so should the mind.hope this helps:cool:
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 22, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    What is taught about Fasting.

Joe

The advice given is excellent. I agree that one must never place one's body under stress of that kind without making sure that it won't cause harm due to some condition that one is unaware or that one thinks doesn't matter when it does.

About the other part of your question: Yes, fasting is thgought to cleanse the body of impurities. Is done for many reasons. From a religious perspective the Bible mentions it in relation to a show of contriteness for sin committed, mourning. Under the Law the Israelites were obligated to fast once a year on the day of Atonement. They were to “afflict” their souls (Levies 16:31), (cf. Isaiah 58:3). For a Christian, fasting is an entirely voluntary thing and if done must never be done for mere outward display as the Pharisees did and as Jesus counseled against. (Matthew 6:16-18).

Is Fasting for Christians Today? : Christian Courier

Benefits of fasting - Mind Your Body - Naturopathic Retreat Center

Medical Benefits of Fasting (Ramadan)

BTW
    I do notice that my thoughts are clearer and I play my best chess whenever I haven't eaten for hours. I was placed on diet of fruits only once by a Chiropractor in order to cleanse the body of impurities and it worked since I felt better. But I was almost toppling over from weakness and was almost unable to work at my place of employment.
    lutheranmom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Fasting is used for spiritual preparation.

Nowhere do the Scriptures teach that fasting is required as a way of "earning" God's grace or favor. During the Middle Ages, many requirements were placed on Christians, including some that suggested that by fasting one could earn more merit before God. The central issue at stake in the Lutheran Reformation was the Scriptural teaching that it is God, in Christ, who has earned our salvation. We contribute nothing to that salvation, but only received --through faith--the benefits of Christ's suffering and death on our behalf.

That doesn't mean that fasting is wrong. Jesus speaks about fasting in Matthew 6, saying "When you fast..." (not "If you fast"). Fasting has always been recognized by Lutherans as a potentially useful and God-pleasing means of exercising discipline over one's own mind and body (see, e.g. Augsburg Apology XII, 139, 143). As Luther explains in the Small Catechism, "Fasting and bodily preparation are certainly fine outward training. But that person is truly worthy and well-prepared [to receive the Lord's Supper] who has faith in these words: 'Given and shed for you for the forgiveness of sins.'"

So, should you choose to fast at a certain time or in a certain way, do it as a way of "honoring God with your body" (1 Cor. 6:20). Use it as a time to be reminded that man does not live by bread alone (Matt. 4). But also recognize that God does not require this as a way of "earning points" with Him. You are His free and forgiven child in Christ.
    VBNomad Posts: 65, Reputation: 7

Aug 18, 2006, 06:11 PM
    I think it can be a powerful reminder of principle as well. Each year I fast on the anniversaries of the men who made the sacrifice in the Irish hunger strikes of 1981. Between March and October, 23 men volunteered to die by hunger strike for political principle. I believe they changed history. And I honor their memory in this way.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 18, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Back in the day I was fasting to cleanse mind body and soul to reach a spiritual center with prayer and meditation.
    earthpages Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Sep 2, 2006, 09:35 AM
    My own view is that following old guidelines about fasting might not work for some people in the 21st century. I'm even skeptical when it comes to contemporary guidelines about fasting. Everybody and every body is different.
    vipul chaudhary Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Has anybody here have any experiance in Fasting? What is taught about Fasting. Thank you in advance.

Joe
    The fasting means only grow our stamina and concentration power to do more efficient work.the answer is very lengthy in description of stamina(will power) and concentration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Juice fasting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My question regards juice fasting. I did a 3 day juice fast three months ago, the purpose being to rest and cleanse the intestines, as I have done many times in the past. But this time I lost 15 lbs from an already slender frame(usually 145), and the weight hasn't come back. I look...

Fasting [ 4 Answers ]

Is fasting an important part of healthy living. Reports are showing that tests on animals where there food intake, calories cut in half. A Sparce diet Actually gave more energy, more health then somebody with full diet intake. What is your take on this?

Fasting [ 3 Answers ]

What significance does religion put on fasting? How important is it?

View more questions Search