Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Menica Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Can a divorce affect the residence status?
    Hi everyone,

I want to get divorced from my husband, but at the same time I don't want to affect his status here. He's been a U.S. Residence since October 2006 (less than 2 years) and we've been married for about 3 or 4 years, together for almost 7 years and have a 5 year old son.

Would a divorce affect him at this time? Or when his green card expired (expires in 10 years)?

He said he's heard that you can't get divorced till after 3 years from the date he obtained the green card. How true is this?

Please answer me back, I need your help.

Thank you,

Menica
    layola Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
    If you were to divorce your husband right now than he will be marked as an illegal immigrant again and will be deported. It doesn't matter how long you've been married.
    He got his legal status from you, and you have the power to take it away. I say try and work it out for your child's sake.:) Hang in there!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone's employer [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find a persons employer

Does a j1 visa holder non residence receive more taxes back than a US residence? [ 6 Answers ]

Last year... my taxes were 1100 dollars(federal + state ),, that is what my w2 showed... I got back 1000 dollars for those 4 months i worked that year... This year my taxes are 4000 dollars (federal + state) that what it shows my w2 and its more money cause i worked 12 months.. right? ...

Someone's looking for me! [ 3 Answers ]

A number called my sisters cell asking me saying he had some work for me to do, a long story short he was full of it, he told her my father gave him her number when he didn't! And so my mom called him back and he said some guy named dave told him about me (I don't know any dave) she asked his name...

Reason for someone's death [ 3 Answers ]

Where do I go online to find out the cause of someone's death?:(

Feeling better off someone's pain? [ 9 Answers ]

Has anyone else ever felt a little relieved to know their ex is hurting as much/more than you. Or the opposite, gotten upset when it appears that their ex is not hurting as much as you? I feel bad thinking about this, but it seems to make me feel better when I know she is upset. I'm sure she is...

View more questions Search