Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freshjiv Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Building a new deck/screened porch overtop of Septic Tank/Supply lines
    Hey, quick question. Our house we bought a year ago has an old deck (clearly not up to code) that is build literally within a foot or less of the septic tank and pump chamber (we have a tank w/ pump) and the supply lines leading from the house to the tank. We want to rip up this old deck and replace with a new deck and screened in porch, but I have a question about it. First off, the setback is 5 foot to build anything, so clearly we will be doing it without a permit if we decide to do it. My question is, if something happens, say 3 years from now, and we need to put a new system in, how much clearance does a septic person need to be able to tie off the lines/crush/do whatever to abandon the old system and then of course put a new system in? Reason I ask is even though the septic we have now is 28 years old, it works perfeclty fine, and I have been told they can last 50+ years if properly maintained (my grandparents are still on their original from 1956!). So, would they be able to take care of the old system without having to rip up any of the old deck (I was told all they would need is a foot or 2 clearance to get the tube to pump the tank out in there). We do not want to pay 5K for a new tank/system to get it up to code when the old one is working fine. Please give me any input or possible pointers you may have. THanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:56 PM
    You will need to have the entire septic tank area clear. So where is the physcial tank, not just the supply lines you should draw a outline of it on the ground to give you a idea. Next they will need a backhole into the backyard to dig it up and lift it out , or break it up and dig it out.

Also were do the lateral lines run, you will not want to be on top of them.

Also remember to get a new one put in, or even new lines ran, the septic inspector will have to come out and approve the layout of any new system.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Fr_Chuck is totally on the money. Cut a corner now and you'll pay through the nose if your septic fails. You can't install a new one without an inspector and he is bond to nail your for building that screened porch without a permit. How did this issue get dealt with at the closing when you bought the house?

Mar 3, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Well the inspector told us it wasn't to code but it doesn't really matter if things aren't to code, as they do not have to be fixed if done before the code changed. Also, if we ever needed to put a new one in, we could move it 5 feet to be up to code with a new system, so we wouldn't have to worry about the inspector/new tank being not up to code. All I would be concerned with is what kind of room do they need to crush the old tank. IF we are built over it, can't they just pump it out (deck will be 2 foot off ground) and tie the lines off, thereby not needing to get the backhoe in where the old tank is, and thus, we can use the backhoe where the new system will go (5 foot away). Thanks!

Mar 3, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Maybe I am missing something but since you already discussed this with an inspector didn't he tell you what you want to know? The only other option I can think of would be to call a septic company and get an estimate to move and replace your tank and line. This is just to get their read on the situation since you don't need to move it just yet.

Mar 3, 2008, 11:20 AM
    ^Well it was the septic inspector when we were doing the home inspection. At that time (a year ago) we did not know we would want to be adding on a screened porch to the existing deck (which has to be ripped up and a brand new one put down since its so old and in poor condition). I have the Environmental health people coming out to look this week to see if we can put in a new system/tank 5 foot away from where it is now (in order to be up to code). If we can, it would be 5K to put in a new tank and lines. However, why go through this 5K expense if our septic keeps working fine you know? I know where the lines are in the existing septic, so the posts being put in the ground for the deck/screened porch would have course avoid the lines. I am sure they can put in a new system and tie off the old system without having to mess with the deck/screened porch area since the new system would be 5 foot away, and all they would need to do wti the old system is pump it out and then fill with dirt or something. I just don't want to spend 5K now if I don't have to you know? I have no problem spending 5K and being up to code once it fails, but you know, it might never fail.

Mar 5, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Bump

Mar 5, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I kind of thought you had made up your mind to build the new deck. You are correct that many septics are going strong for more than 30-40 years. Can't remember, did you say you will need a permit for the deck?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic Leach Bed Leaks Back into Septic Tank [ 15 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain I get water coming from the leach bed back into the septic tank. Is there a check valve that can be installed to prevent this from happening or any other suggestions? I have been told that a curtain drain would help, but that is costly.

Connecting Copper Supply Lines to Brass Supply Lines [ 3 Answers ]

I have just started remodeling my kitchen and am looking to move my kitchen sink further down the wall. The kitchen is completely gutted at this point. The supply lines in my house are all brass. I'm looking to stem off the brass lines using copper tubing. Is it possible to cut the brass supply...

No septic tank.only lateral lines? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a foreclosure that has been empty for approx 6 months or so. Of course, the mortgage company has taken the AS IS, WHERE IS stance and anything I want to know about, I have to find out for myself. My real estate agent-prince that he is-went "a-digging" and found...

Adding a screened porch/room [ 3 Answers ]

My husband & I are considering a screened porch to be attached (that's probably the only kind) to the house where there is a 10ft.x 18ft slab. It will be on the small side then, with a height just shy of 8ft. We are differing on the approx. cost. Before I call any companies... would anyone know...

Creating arched frames for screened porch? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a screened porch that has 3 arched frames that need replacing. They were made with 2x2 lumber originally and are literally falling apart. What is the best way to recreate these and the best way to attach these? It is a brick home and the porch arches are brick as well. The floor of the...

View more questions Search