Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunafish Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Can you cut Corian with a jig saw?
    Want to cut the Corian with a jig saw - will this work? Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Yes, but by the nature of the jig saw you won't get a very smooth cut. By jig saw you do mean a sabre saw don't you? What's the project?
    Hunafish Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Yes it is a sabre saw. We are replacing a stove and need to take a half inch off each side of the corian counter. The edges will be hidden under the stove top.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:56 PM
    A Carbide Tipped Blade on a Circular Saw Is Recommended

Set up a Fence and cut it like a piece of wood -- smooth job

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/interi...ops-98574.html
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:03 PM
    If you want a smooth cut try a carbide router bit and clamp a guide of plywood on the counter top. Depending on the thickness you may need to do several passes.
    davidak Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2008, 08:13 PM
    I would also say that yes, you could use a jigsaw. It will be a rough cut, however, and hard on the blades. A circular saw is better. But dusty and loud.
    To smooth it off, use a router and guide as suggested, and then a handsaw to get the remainde near the walls. A small hand-plane works not bad for smoothing the edge if a router is not handy.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 3, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Id use a skill saw to cut what I can and then a jig saw to get the rest. As you say the finish cut is covered by the sink,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Glavine, how did you know about this being a sink area, I did not see that part of the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best way to cut corian countertops? [ 7 Answers ]

I am just learning how to work with Corian countertops and I would like to know exactly what I should be doing since I don't have much room for error.

How to build a adjustable jig for a raised panel [ 2 Answers ]

Was just curious that if anyone here has ever built a jig to route raised panel doors and how they did it. I'm working on one now but it needs to be adjustable for different size doors. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks Nichols Trim

Cut her loose or cut her slackj [ 3 Answers ]

Dude, this sounds bad, but my friend is hott(not in a lesbo way), and she is friends with all the guys. But whenever she tries to help out a friend, they always endup liking her! It really ticks me off because all the guys love her and I really don't need her taking the only guy I got! She always...

Corian [ 2 Answers ]

Iam looking to refinish a corian counter top. It is presently black, I assume sanding is necessary and then a sealant of some kind? All help would be appreciated, thanks

View more questions Search