Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NYC2LA Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Selling our house via Private Party
    Can any one offer advice on selling our inherited house via private party? Me and three siblings have been offered a good price by our neighbor. We haven't the slightest idea what steps to take at this point... other than lining up an escrow agent.
    Do we write a seller/buyer agreement?
    Do we let the escrow peops outline everything for us?

Thanks

CM
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 04:54 PM
    How was the home transferred, is it in probate ? Has a administer been appointed to act on behalf of the estate ? But in basics, the admin for the estate writes up the contract it is approved by the probate judge and the sale happens. You really should have a probate attorney setting up your probate for this to transfer and sell the property.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Get an attorney to draw up a contract for sale.

Mar 2, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Get an attorney to draw up a contract for sale.
    Wouldn't it be prudent to open escrow and have him make a deposit first? To cover any cost incurred in case his offer isn't legit?

Thanks

Mar 2, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    How was the home transfered, is it in probate ? has a administer been appointed to act on behalf of the estate ? But in basics, the admin for the estate writes up the contract it is approved by the probate judge and the sale happens. You really should have a probate attorney setting up your probate for this to transfer and sell the property.
    Thanks...

It is not in probate. It is in a trust--the executor has full power to sell (or not, whatever). I'm only concerned with the actual steps in the process of selling the house. I've read up on escrow instructions and everythign seems to be fairly simple. I do think it is wise to get an attorney to draw up a contract---hhmmmm, maybe---but really just concerned with the liability of $$ spent in the event the guy bails.

Thank you in advance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 06:11 PM
    To sell a house, you would have them make a written offer to purchase, along with a deposit to be put in escrow. Normally the buyer does the original offer paper work which is accepted or a counter offer is made by the seller.

If you both just agree, either side can write up a contract.

Real estate is hard enough, though a trust is even harder, even after buying and sellilng over 40 homes over the years, I would never buy or sell one without it going though a title company or an real estate attorney who was working for me.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:51 PM
    You are selling property in a situation where no one is looking out for you. Get an attorney.

Mar 3, 2008, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    You are selling property in a situation where no one is looking out for you. Get an attorney.
    I think you're right here...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2008, 06:37 AM
    The buyer is unlikely to hand over money without something in writing. You could have the buyer draw up a contract and then have your atty look over it. But I don't see money changing hands without paperwork.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I serve Alcohol Beverages at a Private Party [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking of having a private party in which I would like to serve Alcohol beverages. Can anyone tell me how I can do so without a liquor license? It will not be a cash bar, however, there will be a bar and a charge at the door to enter.

Private party used car seller, responsible for smog? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I responsible for the smog on a private party used car sell? I let them know up front it needs a tune up.. and that smog wasn't due until October. Aren't private party used car sells.. as is? Im in California.

Is there a return policy on selling used car to private party [ 2 Answers ]

What is California law on selling a used car to a private party? Is there 3 day recession policy or once it is sold no returns.

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

View more questions Search