Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibesmart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Stopping ditch erosion
    A ditch in my side yard has gotten wider during the past year because of fast drainage from a neighboring subdivision. The ditch was once about 4 feet deep and 3 feet wide; now it is about 5 feet deep and 5 feet wide.

How do I restore about 2 feet of it and stop the rest of the ditch from eroding?
    dakota110 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 04:05 PM
    I think a good answer depends on many factors. I have just built our house on a steep slope around 3 years ago and have had some erosion. I was able to fix most, but it took several tries and different approaches.

Some questions are: what kind of ground is it (mud, sand, top soil), are there any plants(grass, bushes, shrubs), how steep is the grade and how much water do you have running, and how fast is the water. Just curious, what kind of drainage is it? Street runoff or (I hope not) sewer?

I could suggest some ways to fix it but need more info.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Well you could install flapping flood panels, panels weighted and support by a cable to slow the water. You could put rip rap limestone rock in the ditch to prevent erosion. You could try to get pine trees growing in the ditch. NOW, IF the neighboring subdivision has had work done to increase the water drainage to come through your property, thus increasing the erosion, in some places you can take legal action for remedies.
    Billythebird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Hi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping a Divorce [ 16 Answers ]

My wife left me 1 month ago. She filed for divorce and moved into an apartment in the same day. We have 2 children and have been married 12 years and together 17 years. She filed once before but we tried to work our problems out. However life happened and she lost her only sister to cancer, I was...

Ditch him or not [ 1 Answers ]

Well I met a man 3 weeks ago on line. We emailed, talked on the phone. I have met him twice,for lunch, he calls me everyday 2-3 times to ask how I am and just to talk. Tells me to call whenever I feel like it. (I had been with a guy whom was an alcoholic, womanizer, always staring and talking of...

Stopping masturbation [ 12 Answers ]

I have this male friend who has really big issues with masturbating in that he is so much into it.He has approached me for help to stop it but I have no clue as to how to assist.Any tips on how to stop masturbating?? he is on the edge because of guilt...

Concrete patio erosion [ 2 Answers ]

What can I use to shore up ground eroding under a concrete patio? Eventually grass will be butting up against patio

Black, sugary erosion of concrete block wall [ 1 Answers ]

My house is concrete or cinder block (I don't know the difference) faced with brick and siding on a cement slab. It is all above ground and I have never had any water/moisture/leaking problems in the 29 years of its existence. We have never finished half of the lower level, but have used it for...

View more questions Search