Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    big countrycane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Can I garnish a ssi check for repayment of a fine for a relative ?
    I live in Alabama. I had paid a fine for a relative to get them out of a local jail. They promised to pay me back with in one month and did not. My sister is the person in question,she is on ssi disability ,I wish to know if I can garnish her ssi check for $762.00 plus interest and court cost in the state of Alabama. Due to a breach of a verbal contract which is a legal agreement.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
    No, No and No but you can take her to court and see what the Judge says.
    The Judge would have to tell her to make payments to you.
    Verbal contracts are somewhat hard to prove because it can become a she said/he said thing and the Judge would have to weight who is more credible.
    Basically
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by big countrycane
    i live in alabama. i had paid a fine for a relative to get them out of a local jail. they promised to pay me back with in one month and did not. my sister is the person in question,she is on ssi disability ,i wish to know if i can garnish her ssi check for $762.00 plus interest and court cost in the state of alabama. due to a breach of a verbal contract which is a legal agreement.

All of the other issues aside you cannot garnishee SS Disability in any State. Those benefits are exempt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 04:15 PM
    But if you "loaned" a friend the money for this other person, you may hold the friend liable.
    Next was this a actual fine, or was it bail to get them out.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
    SSI is generally not subject to garnishment. You can sue her in small claims court and try to win a judgement against her, but garnishing her SSI will not be an option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone garnish my tax check? [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone garnish my tax check, if they have a court ordered wage and property garnishment?

Can they garnish a check that I'm cashing ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everybody, my checking acount was frozen because of a credit card debt, my question is if I go to my bank to cash a check with my name on it can they force me to deposit it into my seized account ? Can I just let a friend cash it for me ? Will the bank still take it even if it's deposited to...

Me and my son ssi check at tax time [ 2 Answers ]

I have a son that get ssi, He just turn 18 this past sept 16, 2007 He lived with me till he turn 18, I haven't reported this to ssi , cause we were waiting to see if this was going to last with him out on his own, he has moved in with his cousin. And has been there for 2 months now. But...

Repayment of debt [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get my money back for a debt I paid 2 weeks ago that was no longer open

Re bonus repayment [ 1 Answers ]

My employer notified me that I have to repay my bonus $6k after tax. The gross amount was $10k. What is interesting is that they told me if I don't repay by their cutoff date for 2005 adjustments I will have to pay close to the entire amount per the IRS. Can anyone point me to where in the...

View more questions Search