Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Mar 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Would You Elect an Atheist President?
    I'm just curious how many intelligent Christians would ever consider supporting an atheist for US president. What about other public offices, such as the senate? Would credentials matter? Or would a candidate's lack of faith in a supreme being preclude you voting for him/her regardless of qualifications? Thanks.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 2, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Why not running the government has nothing to do with religion
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Well to me many already do, since while some proclaim to be, with their support of some issues they can not really be one.

But it is their stand on issues, many of which are moral, but also include protection of America, giving back states rights, abortion, and other issues. But often the idea of issues and moral values are one and the same.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Post moved to religioius discussion since this is not really just a Christian issue but a religious issue
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 7, 2008, 06:54 PM
    The leaders of the USSR, China, N. Korea, & Cuba were/are all Atheists. Not a very good recommendation.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 7, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    The leaders of the USSR, China, N. Korea, & Cuba were/are all Atheists. Not a very good recommendation.
    while this is true, we have to look at their ability to lead, not just there religion. Because there are some christians who I would definitely not want to be president, the same goes for the person who shares my beliefs. It is matter of how they can lead and how they have led.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 10, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Atheism is the official religion of Communism. It is a religion that viciously oppresses ALL other religions, calling them the "opiate of the masses". It is the religion that will not tolerate the mention of any other religion in the classroom in this country. I certainly do not want one of them anywhere near authority if it can be helped.
    Donna Mae Posts: 55, Reputation: 14

Mar 10, 2008, 07:19 PM
    I can't even think of anyone to vote for, this certainly isn't the first time either. I need to pray, pray and pray some more before I vote for anyone.

Hate to be so negative, but I haven't seen a politician yet who won't lie to get the votes, and lying is a sin just like any other sin. But everyone sins. But if I knew they were an
    atheist, I would never vote for them, never.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:52 PM
    The leader of the US is a Christian. Not a very good recommendation.

Robert Mugabe is a Catholic.

So was Hitler!
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
    So if you had someone who was christian but what he could do for you and your country was nothing you would rather vote for him than someone who clearly does not believe in god
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicki143
    so if you had someone who was christian but what he could do for you and your country was nothing you would rather vote for him than someone who clearly does not beleive in god
    No. Religion isn't a factor to me. I was merely responding to galveston's response regarding atheists.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:02 PM
    I think an atheist president might be the best thing for this country but it would have to be the right person. Think about it - by being an atheist, the president would not be concerned with making a decision that goes against the church, but rather would make his/her decisions in the best interest of the people and the country. By removing religion, decisions and policies are made on merit, usefulness and evidence instead of emotion. It's much more objective. It takes out any and all legislation made on the basis of "Because the bible says so", which, considering we don't all follow the bible, seems (to me) to be more fair. It levels the playing field, so to speak.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Atheism is the official religion of Communism. It is a religion that viciously oppresses ALL other religions, calling them the "opiate of the masses". It is the religion that will not tolerate the mention of any other religion in the classroom in this country. I certainly do not want one of them anywhere near authority if it can be helped.
    Atheism isn't about oppressing other religions. That's dictatorship/fascism. An atheist doesn't give two poops what religion you practice, he just doesn't believe there is a god.

Mar 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I think an atheist president might be the best thing for this country but it would have to be the right person. Think about it - by being an atheist, the president would not be concerned with making a decision that goes against the church,

Absolutly! Just look at the comments from the atheist on this 'Christian forum.' None of them have anything good to say about Christians, no matter how much they deny that they are not 'against' Christians. Just read their comments. I believe that if atheist could, they would do away with Christianity, and I also believe this is because they really believe in God, they're just afraid to admit it. (And if the president was an atheist--he could never be 'the right person,' never.)

By removing religion,
    Exactly! If an atheist was president, that's what he/she would do, try to remove religion.
    Christians would probably end up in concentration camps!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mae
    Exactly! If an atheist was president, that's what he/she would do, try to remove religion.
    Christians would probably end up in concentration camps!
    Oh bull.

And excuse me, but I don't appreciate you adding "By removing religion" to the bottom of my post and thus taking it out of context.

Religion doesn't belong in the government, but that's not to say the people being governed can't freely and openly practice their respective religion.

Atheists don't hate religion, and most don't hate Christians. The situation you've imagined is ridiculous and an insult. You apparently know nothing about atheists or the general opinions atheists have on freedoms and society.

I think Christians really really don't believe in god but are too afraid to admit it! See how rude that is?

Quit fearmongering and trying to pick a fight. It's rude.

Mar 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Read, "I think I've got it figured out." Posted by Michaelb, in Religious Discussions.

I hope I would never make fun of and downgrade any of the atheist on there, like you all did by making fun of God and Christians. Seems like you all had a lot of fun at God's and Christians expense. Now, how rude is that?
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
    I did read that thread, and I also read the post where he explained why he started that thread. It wasn't to make fun of Christians or god, it was to illustrate a point. If you take issue with a thread that someone else (not me) started, perhaps you should bring it up to them and leave me out of it.

And perhaps you don't realize that you denigrated atheists on this very board when you stated if an atheist were president, all Christians would be in concentration camps. You equated us with Nazis - I don't think it's possible to be more rude than that.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Mar 13, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Read, "I think I've got it figured out." Posted by Michaelb, in Religious Discussions.

I hope I would never make fun of and downgrade any of the atheist on there, like you all did by making fun of God and Christians. Seems like you all had a lot of fun at God's and Christians expense. Now, how rude is that?
    I'd like to point out as the supreme being of my own religion, I am not an atheist.

How dare I try to spark a discussion from a different point of view. The shame I have brought to a clan of atheists. I should have known that it is rude on a general knowledge and opinion website to even speak of the possibility of a different god. Perhaps you should burn me at the stake or have your god send bears to eat my children or maybe send the spanish inquisition after me. That would teach me to exorcise my right to free speech.

Atheist president has my vote if he agrees with me on issues of course.

Mar 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Jillianleab--I do apologize if I was rude, but I do have a right to my own opinions, just as you do. And to be precise I did not say "all Christians would be in concentration camps." I said they would probably end up there. That is my opinion.

And I also did not say that Michaelb started the thread to make fun of God or Christians, it was the ones answering who seem to think there is nothing wrong with making fun of God, and I think that is rude.

Michaelb- I must point out this is not directed at you, just to some of the comments on your thread. Sorry.

If a Christian doesn't stand up for Jesus and other Christians, who will. I'm sure from what I have been reading, it won't be Atheists.

Just a few comments I have read:
    -The life of Jesus is a fairy tale like Cinderella.
    -... your wasting time worshiping something that doesn't exist.
    -... what I know about God, HE DOESN'T EXIST.
    -... religious whackos
    -I knew the Bible was just rubbish.
    -It's all brainwashing.

Now I think this is all very rude.

Some people on here are asking 'real' questions about God and Christ, and when they are met with mean spirited answers like these, I get a little angry. I think all Christians have a right to get angry when atheist come to forums about Christianity, and do there best to turn these people away from God.

That's rude!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Jillianleab--I do apologize if I was rude, but I do have a right to my own opinions, just as you do. And to be precise I did not say "all Christians would be in concentration camps." I said they would probably end up there. That is my opinion.
    I never said you couldn't have your opinions, but there are ways of expressing your opinion without being rude and inflammatory. You've still equated atheists with Nazis - the pinnacle of rudeness. If you truly, honestly believe atheists would put theists in concentration camps if they were in power, I don't know what to say other than I feel you are wrong. I don't know a single atheist who would do such a thing or violate someone's rights in that way. But I do know of a former leader of the US who is a Christian who thinks atheists should not be citizens:

No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God -- George Bush Sr.

Now who is devaluing who?

If a Christian doesn't stand up for Jesus and other Christians, who will. I'm sure from what I have been reading, it won't be Atheists.
    Of course it won't be atheists - do many (or any) Christians stand up for atheists? Or Jews? Or Muslims?

Just a few comments I have read:
    -The life of Jesus is a fairy tale like Cinderella.
    -... your wasting time worshiping something that doesn't exist.
    -... what I know about God, HE DOESN'T EXIST.
    -... religious whackos
    -I knew the Bible was just rubbish.
    -It's all brainwashing.

Now I think this is all very rude.

Some people on here are asking 'real' questions about God and Christ, and when they are met with mean spirited answers like these, I get a little angry. I think all Christians have a right to get angry when atheist come to forums about Christianity, and do there best to turn these people away from God.

That's rude!
    Now that this board has started a "Religious Discussions" area, where controversial subjects may be discussed, I try to stay out of the Christianity forum (and I think I've been successful in doing so). I agree with you, it's not right for someone to post anti-Christian messages when someone is asking a "real" question about god, and there is nothing wrong with you standing up for what you believe in. But there is something wrong with equating a group of people with perhaps the most evil of all groups - Nazis, and doing so because you clearly don't understand much about atheism. You might want to read this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spirit...tml#post517300 to gain a better understanding of how most atheists believe and conduct themselves. I hope after reading it you will change your opinion that we would condemn theists to concentration camps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

Female president [ 32 Answers ]

How come we never have a girl for a president?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

View more questions Search