Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:42 AM
    88 Chevy Cheyenne 2500 brakes hanging.
    I have a friend who had a problem with brakes hanging, He bought 2 rear wheel cylinders, I change out for him. Tried to ge him to Service Manual, He got Front Calipers and Pads instead. I installed for him. Then He bought Master Cylinder, He changes it. Still hangs, It has another unit with electronics at Master Cylinder. Any tests or input you can suggest.
    TX? Thanks.
    I think he will put out for the Manual Now. People don't understand the amount of Time and Parts that can be saved by a Manual.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Be sure to grease the caliper pins with silicone grease or Squeak Relief (silicone grease with Moly). I use Squeak Relief on all rear drum brake rub points.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Hoping you'd show up, No all that is fine. Someone did mention deterioiated brake lines with bits of rubber that Floats? And acts like a check valve at Master Cylinder.
    You push pedal, it applies pressure to wheels, when letting off it plugs the return?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Sounds like you need to change deteriorated brake lines, then flush the system.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:46 PM
    So far that's the plan, they got new brake lines. I was going to disconnect lines, blow them out from above to wheel cylinders/calipers. What would be the best way to deal with cylinders/calipers(rubber bits). I'm hoping since it supposedly floats, they may be OK?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Flushing would likely be sufficient; however, if you are really concerned, rebuild the wheel cylinders. Then, you should have all contaminants removed, after bleeding the system.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Don't overlook that deterioration of hydraulic hoses can act like a one-way check valve. If cracking the bleeder relieves the "hangning", look to replace the hydraulic hose to that section and flush the remaining sections. Also, the proportioning valve can become an issue...
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:08 PM
    He just bought new cylinders, calipers, shoes and pads, they are all installed and no better, He didn't want to turn anything, and they didn't look bad.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Thanks Captain, I did crack the bleader, fluid and pressure released, and wheel was free again. I will check Proportioning valve. Thanks all, I'll get back with the results.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Turning to me would be for pulsation... not so much a factor.
    If he's flushing the system, does he see good, or more importantly: even flow from all corners?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Brake Fluid Looked watery/contaminated. It will do good for new fluid.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Brake pipes sometimes need to be replaced, if there's corrosion. This is particularly important on ABS systems. New tests focus on copper ions in solution (byproduct of brazing), as an indication of whether the brake fluid is good. Corrosion protection is one reason brake fluid should be changed every 24 months.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Litmus test strips are available to determine cororosive propeties within systems, but if known foreign substances have been introduced... umm, why??
    Mineral spirit flushing may be the only option, and only that, in an attempt to restore...
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 04:31 AM
    I'm not familiar with the term 'hanging' but if it's the same as dragging or binding which means calipers not releasig the rotors I have been having the same problem with a dodge ram even though I replaced the booster master cyl. Combination valve calipers and hoses too . The brake booster can also cause this problem if it is binding on the return stroke .If the brake pedal is returning very slow after releasing the brake like mine was it could cause problems.Of course in my case replacing it did not help completely but I can illiminate it as a cause now and it has made a big difference to the brakes.I just need to solve the overheating problem that I still have.Another thing that I learned is that any other kind of oil getting into brake fluid is a BIG NO-NO .Regular oil expands and causes major issues.
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 04:34 AM
    And I also wanted to mention the importance of adjusting the brake-booster rod correctly.If it's too long brakes will drag.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brakes 2005 Honda Accord brakes? [ 3 Answers ]

How hard are the brakes pads on a 2005 honda Accord to change?

1991 chevy 2500,5.7 liter, auto,2 wd [ 4 Answers ]

Hey folks this is my first posting here and I will be grateful for any advice you have. My 1991 Chevy 2500 pickup is sick. It was running fine until, It started missing and will not take fuel when you press the accelerator. I have some background working on engines but when it comes to...

Router 2500 [ 2 Answers ]

Tell me about voyager 2500.how does it work, how many computer can we connect to it and how:( :(

Anti Lock Brakes Dash Warning Light, 2001 Chevy Malibu. [ 1 Answers ]

Need help with Anti Lock Brakes, ABS - 2001 Chevy Malibu... A dash warning light appeared about 3 days ago that something might be wrong with my anti lock brakes, I immediately pulled over, read about the warning in my own manual, it said turn the veh off, then restart it and if the light...

View more questions Search