Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 02:17 AM
    Keeping a pond clean(ish)
    I have just finished scooping up buckets full of fungus from the bottom of the pond and now have it looking reasonably good, but there must be an easier way of keeping it clean?!

I use a flat dinner plate-sized mesh thing attached to a broom stick and scoop gunk up from the bottom of the pond, as well as swishing it through the water to pick up fungus. The pond is around 40cm deep (18 inches, I suppose) and two metres by one and a half metres.

Are those things that bubble up the water effective? We have water restrictions (Australia) and it hasn't been legal (though it might be okay now) - still, do they work? Are there chemicals you can put in the water that are safe and environmentally okay? Should I load the pond up with plants?

Would appreciate your ideas.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 03:06 AM
    A recirculating pump works well and pond plants serve a useful purpose as well as being decorative and interesting.
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Thanks, I think a recirculating pump and a few more plants are the answer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Plants will knock down some of the debris and filter the sun light to lessen alge growth. Aquascapes Design is located near me and I bury several of their products. They are online too. Aquascape Water Gardens & Ecosystem Ponds

Mar 6, 2008, 04:36 PM
    I just realized what a crappy speller I have turned into. Sorry. I think the guys at Aquascapes know I don't bury their products, I buy them to kill algae.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 04:39 PM
    LOL!! I was wondering... but didn't want to say anything :)

Well, I was a little disconcerted when I realised I referred to algae as fungus... now what's the difference?

Mar 6, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I kind of think of algae as fungus out for a swim. I'm sure somebody knows that true differences betweemn them, I just know I want them both gone. I have a Sears wet vac than has a drain in its bottom. I hock a hose to the drain and then make a screen out of old nylon stockings. I suck the junk and debris up and the vac strains the water for me. Got to remove the vac filter before you suck water. Learned that the hard way.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
    A Sears wet vac sounds awesome, though a bit confusing. Why does it need stockings? Is it kind to fish? Is it designed for this job in mind - or more for swimming pools?

Does it get rid of the ALGAE which is driving me CRAZY!!
    Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Yes, it is confusing and if you have an ornamental pond you don't want to use a wet vac because this would suck up all your ornamental plants and any decorative fish you have in the pond.

Bellanger knows a lot of stuff but I don't think he is picturing an ornamental pond.

Trust me, recirculating pump and more attractive pond plants and you have it made. It will get rid of your algae, but you have to be patient.

I do some landscaping on the side and have run into some pretty amazing pond set ups over the last years. They are a big thing here in town for closet gardeners (LOL). Not saying you are but these people have enough money to buy gold ornaments for their ponds.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Thanks for that tickle. I will definitely give the recirculating pump and extra plants a go - it would have been awful if I had sucked up my water lily and baby shibunkins with a (confused cross-dressed) wet vac... LOL

And thanks again to Bellanger - it's been good to have a bit of a laugh :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
    I have just installed a recirculator, bought some (natural) algae dissolver, and added a couple of plants... and HOPE this works :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 05:03 PM
    I have just installed a recirculator, bought some (natural) algae dissolver, and added a couple of plants... and HOPE this works

Mar 8, 2008, 12:11 PM
    I have an ornamental fish pond and use the vac to suck algae from the falls and bottom. The stocking on the drain hose acts as a filter to catch the algae after its been sucked into the tank. I am sure it would do some significant damage if I placed the wand into the plants but I just hit the floor of the pond and the water falls. Aquascapes also sells me several of their algae killers that do not harm plants or fish. Some folks place a small bale of barley straw in the water and for some reason that also inhibits algae. Even with a large recirculating filter with a biofilter there will always be some build up of debris.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 08:20 PM
    I saw a small vac for ponds in the store yesterday that has a hose attached, and is possibly what you're talking about. After manually clearing the pond of most of the algae and installing the water recirculater yesterday, it's looking nice and clear today - and you can actually see the fish. I'll try the vac as well, since as you say, it's likely to need it and could be faster than the wire mesh make-do I've been using so far.

Now I'm wanting more fish, and would like to redo some of the garden surrounding the pond :)
    Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 02:40 AM
    I have an extensive perennial garden in Ontario Canada. Rock gardens being a passion of mine. I would love to have an ornamental pond but have a large hound dog who can't stay out of even a puddle and once almost destroyed a very nice ornamental pond belong to a friend. I am glad you came to some conclusions. Maybe you can include a pic sometime.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Mar 9, 2008, 03:16 AM
    We have two ponds.. one koi and one ornamental gold fish. On both we use a UV light with our filter system... works great!

This should answer any questions you have on them... Pond UV Filters, Pond UVC Lights or Pond Ultra-violet clarifiers for algae in garden ponds
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Your garden sounds awesome tickle and so likewise, I would enjoy seeing photos - also of your pooch who sounds like the boss. My daughter and I bought three new fish yesterday called Goggle, Boggle and Shiba.

I'll see if I can manage to download photos over the next day or so...

And thanks rpg219, that's a great pond link that I'll enjoy dipping into for ideas.. :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Hello again,

I spent a lot of money on what I thought was a good pump (around AUS$55) and it is hardly working. I know - I'll take it back to where I bought it... just wondering if it's a common problem and if there might be a simple answer.

Also wondering if anyone here would know how to ground the electrical cord that runs from the pond and up through my shed window to the electrical outlet.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Do you know how many gallons your pump was rated. Does you outlet and the pump cord both have three pronges?
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Mar 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Nope... a good pump for a decent size pond will run you about 200... our ponds are about 1200 gals each... how big is your pond??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Children's movie late 80's ish... [ 8 Answers ]

I remember watching a film when I was younger and I can't remember the name of it. It was animated, and had green goblin type creature things in it with pointy ears. The main character was male, and he wore a brown pair of short and a white shirt or something. At the beginning of the film, he...

Yellow-ish smelly discharge [ 5 Answers ]

For the past two months I have been having a yellowish discharge. It is very smelly to. I don't know what it is I don't know what to do. Im scared to contact my doctor because I'm afraid she will tell my mother about it please help me

Oily/gasoline-ish smell [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 3 weeks there has been an oily/gasoline-ish smell in the house. This smell is at intermittent times. I have walked around and smelled EVRYTHING and cannot locate the source of the smell. I have cleaned and scrubbed all possible offenders: fridge, oven, garbage disposal, garbage cans,...

Skin abnormality; medical-ish, unnatural, not to do with tanning. [ 4 Answers ]

This is kind of embarrassing and gross, but whatever. :p Kay kay. I have this... growth... in my left armpit. o_O; I’ve had it twice before there in about the same spot, once in my right. Its diameter is about the size of a dime, it hurts--a lot--when it’s rubbed or touched by something, and it...

Brow-ish puss from Belly button... [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find this brown-ish puss around and inside my belly button , doesn't happen everyday but I sometimes find it when I'm getting dressed in the morning. My belly button is not peirced and it doesn't really hurt... this pus also has a terrible smell so id be more than happy to get rid of...

View more questions Search