Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wingii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
    How to start a trust fund
    I would like to know how to start a medical trust fund/foundation in memory of my daughter who died of cancer, to help other children and adults in Vanuatu and other third world countries who do not have access to adequate medical services and resources to provide proper diagnosis and treatment such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

And also, is there a difference between a trust and a foundation and which is proper for this situation
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 08:28 AM
    One can merely start a trust fund by going into any bank and setting one up.
    Assuming you want it to be non profit, you will have to set up a non profit organization to own and operate the trust
    Nick thomas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wingii View Post
    I would like to know how to start a medical trust fund/foundation in memory of my daughter who died of cancer, to help other children and adults in Vanuatu and other third world countries who do not have access to adequate medical services and resources to provide proper diagnosis and treatment such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

And also, is there a difference between a trust and a foundation and which is proper for this situation

Hey m nick thomas even I lost my dad due to cancer and m desperate to either open a trust or a foundation for these people share your knowledge lets associate ourself for this thing

Reply on my email d [email protected]
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 01:55 PM

It sounds like you are talking about setting up a private Foundation - this would be a charitable organization with a board of directors that is charged with managing the funds you put into it or that it raises and making grants to appropriate institutions based on the Foundation's charter. As FrChuck says - you'll have to establish the Foundation as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization with the IRS with a charter and bylaws. To be meaningful you would fund this Foundation with a minimum of $5M or so.

For many individuals it makes more sense to work through one of the many existing donor-advised funds at institutions such as Fidelity or Vanguard. For a modest fee they typically allow you to fund your own account and then you direct them to make distributions from that accout to charitable organizations of your choosing.

Here's a good overview article you may find helpful:

Yes, you can start your own charitable foundation - USATODAY.com
    sjregish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
    I am looking for fund for my newly started Foundation for Education and Medical Purpose. The foundation name is in memory of St Anthony the strongest believer in christianity and the saint to for poors and the lost . Read about St anthony in the net.
    Looking for Fund in India. As the fund activities we are starting up a school in the name of st anthony in Thane. Looking for charitable fund for ST.ANTHONY EDUCATION AND MEDICAL FOUNDATION . The activities are . Education schools, Widow Education, Old age Education, Medical Help for critical illnesses. (like cancer, aids, ). Orphanage, old age homes. In India.
    Contact for funding. JOHN REGIS - +919029009355. Looking for generous people for funding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal Income Taxes on Inheritance from Trust Fund [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to receive an inheritance (less than what is allowed before inheritance taxes apply). Do I still have to pay federal income tax on the money received? I live in Texas, where there is no state income tax.

Fund, trust or something else? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband passed away and I asked people to donate to my daughter's college fund in lieu of flowers. Before I made the announcement to the newspaper, I asked the bank how I should have the people make out the check; either just my daughter's name, or it could be "Jane Doe's Scholarship Fund." ...

Trust fund stolen by Grandma [ 12 Answers ]

My Grandpa and Grandma took $8000.00 and put the money into two CD accounts on Aug 13, 1900. So there is two accounts both starting with $4000.00. There is a written contract that I have saying the money is for the sole purpose of my sister and I. The money can only and must be in a CD account...

Creating A trust Fund [ 1 Answers ]

How can one create a self-directed trust fund for a corporation?

View more questions Search