Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals
    I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a neutral. This advice still stands as true.

However, there does exists 2 pole GFI and AFI circuit breakers that will work to protect two 120 volt circuits that share a neutral. Most of the major circuit breaker manufacturers offer these 2 pole breakers, such as General Electric in the THQL frame, Square D as the QO frame, and Siemens in the QF frame.

These 2 pole circuit breakers did come to mind due to a couple of issues that cause them to be impractical.

One reason is the cost of one of these breakers, in the range of $200-$300 each, and this is wholesale cost. The big box hardware stores may sell these, not sure what the retail cost is.

Another reason is that if there is a fault on one circuit, since the 2 poles of the breaker are physically connected internally, both circuits will be interrupted.

I see there is another request in the Electrical forum pleading to use AFI breakers on a shared neutral. Even thou I believe using 2 pole GFI and AFI breakers as being impractical, it did occur to me that I need to be as accurate as possible, and offer these as a solution, and let the person that will be living with and paying for these breakers be the judge whether to use them or not.

I apologize for any inconveinence my inaccurate or incomplete advice previously submitted may have caused to anyone that may have be misled by not being informed of the 2 pole GFI and AFI circuit breakers that are available.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Thanks, I could think pulling extra neutral, may be cheaper than the 2 pole.
    dbernoulli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Please explain in detail the difference between one pole and two pole circuit breakers. Thank you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 01:44 PM
    One pole breakers are used for 120 volt circuits, and two pole breakers are used for 240 volt circuits.

Please start a new question instead of posting to a year old question.

This thread is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

Shared video memory [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop says that I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics 64 MB shared video memory. What does this mean and do? And what is better and best? Thanks

Color correction [ 1 Answers ]

After I use either Colorfix or Colorzap, I will need to recolor. I want a light to medium brown. I have heard that sometimes, even after color correction, the hair will go back to dark brown or black unless a very light color is used after stripping. So, my questions are: (1) Will light brown...

Neutrals and Grounds in service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wiring everything for my basement in the panel. There are plenty of open spots left. When I look at the existing wiring (for the rest of the house), all the grounds go to the block on the left and all the neutrals go to the block on the right? 1. Is this required? 2. Why or why not? ...

Deposit error / correction [ 2 Answers ]

I am bookkeeper for a non-profit company. I take care of two accounts - I will name them General Account and Party Account. I made a deposit to General Account, but the deposit slip was to the Party Account. I know I will have to write a check from the general account to deposit into the party...

View more questions Search