Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevev3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Honeywell RTH230B Wiring
    I have an existing Honeywell non-programmable thermostat with 2 wires, a white and black. I 'd like to replace with the RTH230B programmable. After reading the Reader's Digest Do-it-Yourself book, it says I would need to add wires if I wanted to replace a non-programmable thermostat with a programmable thermostat. Is this true? I don't want to open the package to see the instructions and not be able to return it if it's the wrong thing.
    I have hot water baseboard heat, no AC, and I believe it's low voltage.
    Thanks.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Do not see why you would need more than 2 wires. Without AC you only need 2 wires run from the zone-valve to the thermostat.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Some digital thermostats do require a return wire to the other side of transformer. I don't believe that unit does. There are quite a few posts on that thermostat in the heating and cooling area. Might be a good idea to look over some of them. Can't promise you the directions will be in English when you do open it. You also may need to sort out which wire comes directly from the transformer, and connect it to the RH terminal. Connect the wire that goes to the boiler to the W or W1 terminal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell RTH230B [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a very old thermostat, White-Rodgers 135-415, which I'd like to convert to a Honeywell RTH230B. Currently there are only 3 wires that are connected to the thermostat (which is only for my apartment's heat. White wire is connected to what looks to be labeled "Common" Black...

Honeywell rth230b [ 4 Answers ]

This winter I installed honeywell rth230b. Heater works great, but I have no a/c. I have 6 wires from wall. Rh--red Rc--blue W--white Y--yellow G--green Brown not being used Help it is 90 deg. I need my a/c Thank you all

Honeywell RTH230B [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat but am not sure of the wiring. I have 6 wires colored as follows, red, green, white, yellow, and 2 blue wires. Please advise?

Honeywell rth230b thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

We hooked up the honeywell programmable thermostat and it was working fine for 10 days or so until this weekend when the temperature should be at 67 all day from 6am to 10pm and 62 from 10pm until 6am on sat and sun. this weekend the thermostat does not bring the temp up to 67 but it leaves it at...

Honeywell Thermostat RTH230B [ 14 Answers ]

I have 6 wires to connect. The colors are as follows: W, Y, G, B, O, and R. The thermostat calls for W, G, Y, Rc, and Rh. Where do I plug in the R and what do I do with the B and O? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

View more questions Search