Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psiloveyou21 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Mar 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Should I get Gastric Bypass?
    I'm 5'6" and I weighed 200 in June of 07'... now.. march 01st of 08 I weight 255... happened?. I don't eat ne differently.. I don't work out that much but I never really have... I mean do I need to get this done?. ive tried everything and I just can't lose the weight! It just keeps adding up... and the doctor said I have nothing wrong with my thyroid... I just feel so un frikin healthy its starting to make me feel sick... please help... should I or shouldn't I?:(
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 05:08 PM
    So you gained 55 pounds in 9 months doing absolutely nothing differently? Either you're not telling the whole story or your doctor isn't. At 255 you may be a candidate for gastric bypass surgery. You'll probably need to consult with a gastroenterologist and find out what your insurance's ground rules are regarding gastric bypass. But I really think you should find out why you gained 55 pounds in 9 months without changing any of your habits.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 1, 2008, 05:08 PM
    OK have a read over this link:
    The Lose Weight Diet - FREE weight loss diet plan

And follow this link:
    Walking for Fitness and Weight Loss!
    I could make you a rotten that will suit your needs but I would need information about you. Like how much time can you afford to work out? And you goals. I look forward to your reply.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 1, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Discuss your weight with your doctor and see if gastric bypass is an option for you. My future brother-in-law had gastric bypass 3 years ago. His recovery was extremely painful, and he had some serious complications. But now, he is very happy and glad he had the surgery. If you doctor tells you that gastric bypass could work for you, then one thing that would be good is to talk to some people who have had it done. That way you know what to expect.

Like s_cianci said, find out exactly what your insurance covers. In my brother-in-law's case, he had to have some cosmetic surgery done because he lost so much weight so quickly that he had lots of loose skin afterwards. His insurance only covered the skin removal on his midsection and chest, and not on his legs and arms, so he has had to put off that cosmetic surgery for now. That is the one thing he doesn't like. Overall, he was happy with it because he needed to lose weight badly (he was 450 lbs). But he doesn't like to wear shorts or short sleeves now because of all the extra skin.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
    First of course most will require months of trying various other diets before they will do the surgary anyway, so you need to work with your doctor on diet plans first
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:35 PM
    You say you haven't done anything different --what HAVE you been doing and eating?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 12:13 AM
    ... gaining 55 lbs over a 9 month period can't be achieved by "nothing" being wrong.

SOMETHING had to have changed... diet, exercise, stress level, hormones, SOMETHING.

I got to ask your age... mainly because I frown upon patients asking for the gast bypass whenever there are other options out there. Patients always come into the clinic thinking that the g-bp is the way to go... simple... fast... but the truth is, the risk is pretty high for complications, the recovery is painful, and on top of that, patients generally don't make a change in their lifestyle... so they're back within 6 months, looking for another "cure".

Look at what you eat... take a look at how much you eat... how much you exercise... take a look at your lifestyle. Do you consume more than 1500 - 2000 calories a day? Are you moderately exercising (and by moderate, I mean anything from taking a stroll around the neighborhood for 30 minutes a day to running 3 miles).

Exercise + diet is hard work... but in the long run, it's MUCH better than what any surgeon can offer you.
    psiloveyou21 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Mar 2, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    ...gaining 55 lbs over a 9 month period can't be achieved by "nothing" being wrong.

SOMETHING had to have changed...diet, exercise, stress level, hormones, SOMETHING.

I gotta ask your age...mainly because I frown upon patients asking for the gast bypass whenever there are other options out there. Patients always come into the clinic thinking that the g-bp is the way to go...simple...fast...but the truth is, the risk is pretty high for complications, the recovery is painful, and on top of that, patients generally don't make a change in their lifestyle...so they're back within 6 months, looking for another "cure".

look at what you eat...take a look at how much you eat...how much you exercise...take a look at your lifestyle. do you consume more than 1500 - 2000 calories a day? are you moderately exercising (and by moderate, I mean anything from taking a stroll around the neighborhood for 30 minutes a day to running 3 miles).

exercise + diet is hard work...but in the long run, it's MUCH better than what any surgeon can offer you.

I'm 19 years old... and I have a bad back. I can't walk or stand for long periods, it's a slipped crack disk that never got fixed because I couldn't afford sugery... and I don't eat different I eat better then I used to I think, and I have a higher stress level because of bills but who doesn't...
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:17 PM
    I understand the inability to exercise... but something else is going on if you gain 55 lbs within 9 months.

Try to see what/how much you eat a day... you may be surprised.

As far as your back not allowing you to exercise much, when the weather lets up a bit, try to go to a local pool (if possible) and try some water exercises. The water should alleviate some pressure off your back and it'll be your own sort of physical therapy. Also, there're plenty of exercises you can do while you're sitting.
    TrueFaith Posts: 1,202, Reputation: 313
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 02:17 AM
    I would get your back fixed first. Before worring about your weight.

Then you can focus on your weight

Because if you can't move later on in life then well that's just not good
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I understand the inability to exercise...but something else is going on if you gain 55 lbs within 9 months.

try to see what/how much you eat a day...you may be surprised.

As far as your back not allowing you to exercise much, when the weather lets up a bit, try to go to a local pool (if possible) and try some water exercises. The water should alleviate some pressure off your back and it'll be your own sort of physical therapy. Also, there're plenty of exercises you can do while you're sitting.
    Had to spread it, but ISneezeFunny has given you some excellent advice.
    drand10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 05:44 AM
    You are kind of on the edge of Gastricy bypass. I am 5'8" and I weighed 309 lb and I got gastric bypass. 5 months later, I weight 215 lbs. Just check your BMI (Google it, it is easy) and make sure that you fall into the range that doctors will do gastric bypass.

I did my surgery in India. It was $8K total. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. My doctor was OK but he hhad his challenges during the surgery. Overall though, it went well.

Speaking for myself, it has changed my life. I feel so much better.. and believe it or not, I'll go play tennis in the next hour! Best of luck. I think you are right on the edge for gastric bypass. Hope it works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spastic upper gastric pain [ 2 Answers ]

I am have pain usually at night after I lay down to go to bed. This pain comes & goes & starts in the center of my stomach, (almost right under the breast) then radiates both left & right. It last for at least 5 minutes and no more than 10 minutes, but is so severe that I can barely get my...

Gastric bypass [ 4 Answers ]

I had gastric bipass surgery in 2003 . Greatest thing I ever did. I have lost 142 lbs. Now how to get rid of skin other that surgery? I keep exersizing? HELP!! ANY SUGESTIONS? THANKS

Gastric by-pass surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I had gastric by-pass surgery almost 11 months ago. I have lost a total of 253 lbs between February 23, 2005 and today. I workout 3x a week with a personal trainer. My weight loss has slowed a bit, and I am left with a whole bunch of saggy skin mainly on my upper legs and arms. What kind of...

View more questions Search