Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbpaul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 09:52 AM
    5oth birthday party can you register for gifts
    Hi
    I will be having a 50th birthday partuy and on the invitation is it okay to

Say where I am registered at, or write the 3 places I like to have gift cards to

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
    I think it would be okay.
    Maybe make it like an about me type thing so that it doesn't sound commercialized or materialistic.
    My favorite colors
    My favorite style
    My favorite foods
    My favorite places to shop
    My favorite songs
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 01:43 PM
    It's NEVER good etiquette to "ask" for gifts in an invitation. Ever.

It comes across as tacky and greedy.

What you DO is put the word out among your close friends/relatives, and let THEM tell anyone asking what you'd like.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 01:47 PM
    From what I have heard the past 10 or more years wedding invitations now do include a website where they can go to see what the bride is registered for with gifts. So I figured it was now acceptable, maybe not quite etiquette but done.

Personally I would rather say no gifts please.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
    I find those invitations to be tacky, too.

I always get people something absolutely NOWHERE on their registry if they solicit gifts. Like... cleaning supplies. Or a hammock (when they live in an apartment).

If I'm close enough to be one of the confidants of where they're registered, well then of course I am not awful. It's those relatives/friends that you see once every 4 years that are "asking" for gifts that I find to be extremely tacky.

Of course, it's absolutely okay to tell someone what you want or where you are registered if they ask! If they don't ask, though, you're soliciting gifts, and that's the height of being tacky.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
    I've seen it done for weddings but never birthdays. I think the wedding ones are a bit tacky too, but it is what the kids are doing.

I don't think there is a hard or fast rule but I would think it would come across a little bit tacky.

I like the ones that read...

Your presence is the only present I need :)

Personally, I wouldn't ask for anything and see what your friends do.

Hubby and I give money - so then you would be able to go and get the things you wish to have the most.
    dbpaul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Hi
    Thanks for all the feedback on my 50th birthday.

I will be the hostess as well as party organizer. Even that I am inviting friends some people have no taste or do not know what I would like.

It is important to me to get gifts/ I am being honest with you all.

Having my friends there will be great but I want gifts too,

I guess it is the child inside of me that has lived a life of deprivation

Thank you
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbpaul
    Hi
    thanks for all the feedback on my 50th birthday.

I wil be the hostess as well as party organizer. Even that i am inviting friends some people have no taste or do not know what i would like.

it is important to me to get gifts/ I am being honest with you all.

Having my friends there will be great but i want gifts too,

i guess it is the child inside of me that has lived a life of deprivation

thank you

As long as you make it a fun party they shouldn't object too much.

I can understand the no taste thing. Like you end up with your friend with no taste buying you a drab brown sweater like what she would wear.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbpaul
    Hi
    thanks for all the feedback on my 50th birthday.

I wil be the hostess as well as party organizer. Even that i am inviting friends some people have no taste or do not know what i would like.

it is important to me to get gifts/ I am being honest with you all.

Having my friends there will be great but i want gifts too,

i guess it is the child inside of me that has lived a life of deprivation

thank you
    Dpaul,

That's okay that you like to get gifts. My sister is like that, she LOVES to get gifts. It's not so much the "things" but I think to her, is shows how much you truly care for her. She will start around Sept talking about her birthday which is in the end of November :)

The only thing about registering, is that you will get exactly what you are asking for and it will be things you like... but what you may miss out on, is that one gift that someone would give you, that is directly from their heart and touches yours. To me, I wouldn't want to to risk missing out on that. Does that make sense?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

50th Birthday Party Ideas. [ 12 Answers ]

Yes, I am planning a 50th Birthday bash for my mother. I just need some very neat and original ideas on how to go about doing it. Her birthday is on st.patty's day. Any ideas would be appreciated

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

Unique 50th Birthday Party Ideas For My Dad [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I am looking for unique ideas for a 50th birthday party for my dad. I would like to do something different, special for him. Does anyone have a unique idea? Thank you!

Birthday Party Ideas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just joined the club and am in need of some help... I am a single mother of 2 and need some advice on what to do for my kids birthday parties. My son will be turning 3 years old in June and my daughter will be turning 2 in July. I am planning on inviting 15-20 kids in the same age group....

?A Birthday Party Everyday? (Unknown Book Title) [ 1 Answers ]

There was a children's book I read in the mid-eighties; its title I cannot recall. The main character is a dog who lives alone on a hill. On his birthday, he invites all of his friends to a party at which they all eat peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches (important detail ;) ). He enjoys...

View more questions Search