Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Bugs in the room
    A challenge problem for those who enjoy such things: the "bug problem":

You have a square room with walls of length L. In each of the four corners is a small bug. At the sound of a gun, they each start walking at the same rate directly towards the bug on their right. So each bug's first step is towards the corner to their right. But for the second step each bug must adjust its trajectory a bit in order to continue walking directly towards its neighbor because that bug has moved. With each step for each bug to continue to walk directly towards its neighbor causes them all to spiral toward each other. They keep doing this until they all meet at the center or the room. The diagram below I hope makes this clear.

Question: what is the distance each bug travels?
    Attached Images

CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 07:53 AM
    My guess: infinite. I think they will enter into a spiral that will eventually have them nose-to-tail and simply be following each other in a circle near the center of the room.
    Am I close?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Actually, I think the time is infinite, but their paths are finite.

Since the bugs paths create a spiral, I think we could use parametric arc length here.

I have to skedaddle now. I will be back and look at it in depth. Seems like a cool little problem.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Well ebaines, I have an answer. I don't know if it's right or not. How about each bug travels units of distance?

Since we are working with what appears to be logarithmic spirals, we can use the parametric equations:

The arc length formula gives us:

Now, as we take the limit:

I reckon of it ain't right it'll be wrong.;)
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Not quite Galactus.

This is actually a bit easier than you might think. No parametric spirals needed. Here's a hint: when a bug takes a tiny step toward its neighbor, how much closer does he get?
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I think I am over complicating it. Which is not unusual. It appears the bugs are going to always be on the corners of a square which kind of rotates around its center. Therefore, each bug will have travelled distance L. That is, each spiral path the bug makes is equal to the length of a side of the original square. Is my thinking more on line now? Seems reasonable.
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 12:42 PM
    To put it in more mathematical terms: the path length of a bug is found from

where D = distance between a bug and its neighbor.

For this problem when a bug takes a step of size , the change in distance between the bugs is

In the limit as

Hence

Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Cool, ebaines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Little Bugs [ 6 Answers ]

The last couple of weeks, I've noticed thes tiny bugs at all of my windows in my house. They were at every window even the ones upstairs. The bugs were also in my bathroom/bathtub. They are so tiny that it looks like a dot just crawling around. I've sprayed and sprayed and I can't get rid of...

What are these almost invisible biting bugs in 1 room of our house? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and for the last year we are getting bites from some invisible flying bugs. We have bombed the entire house, sprayed the front and back yards including the foundation of our house as well. The bites are small raised red bumps that really itch. They seem to bite more at night. ...

Interior room-to-room noise reduction [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I just moved into a home in Wheaton, IL. The house is great except for one thing: you can easily hear through the walls. For example, the master bathroom was placed along the main hallway, and you can hear... everything... not what you want when entertaining guests! I've read about...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

View more questions Search