Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HRC Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Rebuild Compaq Tablet TC1000
    I am trying to rebuild my Tablet PC and have connected an external CD writer to run the QuickRestore CDs. However, I cannot boot to the CD drive, as I receive the following error "Unable to detect ATAPI IDE CD ROM DRIVE. ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver not loaded." and the session leaves me at the command prompt.

The HP site advises that this error is caused by using a USB 1.0 device, use a USB 2.0 device. My external CD drive is a USB 2.0 device. Can anyone suggest how I can resolve this?

Hugh
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Is there no internal CD? Are you sure the Drive is USB 2.0?

Jan 28, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Scott,
    As it's a tablet PC, there is no internal cd drive. The external drive I have, definitely has a USB2.0 interface; refer to this url for my drive (http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do...model=NOTHING).
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jan 28, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Have you looked around in the bios for something along the lines of "enable boot from usb" kind of thing?

Jan 28, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Yup; three options in the BIOS. I have even disabled two, left the CD drive on. It boots intot he drive, runs the config.sys, autoexec.bat but cannot install the cd driver and therefore doesn't assign a drive letter when it runs the autoexec. Then leaves me at the command prompt.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jan 28, 2006, 08:30 AM
    What OS are you trying to install?

Jan 28, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Its Windows XP Tablet Edition, from the supplied Compaq QuickRestore System Recovery CD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express address book corrupted, How to rebuild? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My OE Address Book is corrupted, I have made an "export" to have a backup. How can I recreate this Address book before "importing" my backup? Thanks is advance

Compaq Presario [ 3 Answers ]

Compact Presairo computer does not want to accept NEC Multi Sync LCD1530V flatscreen . Tells me Video Input is Out of Range. H: 53.7 kHz V 95.1 Hz. The unfortunate part is that it runs Windows ME... yes I know sad isn't it... but it was given to me for free, so I can't complain. Any idea's on how...

If Under Law why not Rebuild the temple? [ 9 Answers ]

Why do those who say they are under the Mosaic Law not follow all the stipulations like animal sacrifices given at alters, and all the other instructions given in Deteronomy and Exodus? Actually, the rebuilding of the temple would not be enough. Those rebuilding it would also have to begin...

Compaq n400c need help [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: purchased the compaq N400c laptop a couple of days ago (second hand) and has been working fine until today. I cannot access windows at all. Does anyone out there know about this model. Have checked the guide book for troubleshooting but lists nothing like the problem that I am having....

What is required to rebuild an engine head? [ 2 Answers ]

On a side note, seems like this forum became some sort of official "My Honda won't start forum" :) Anyway, I decided to buy a new engine head for my (you guessed it) Honda Civic, and am wondering what I should do to rebuild the engine head. It seems reasonable that I should change valves (maybe...

View more questions Search