Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vintage_surf21 Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 29, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Hating helping my husband make a 4.0
    My husband has a lot of pressure from his job to take a few college courses. The only trouble is that he claims that he is not any good at school and has a hard time understanding what the classes are teaching. He has asked for my help. I decided to help him with the first class (on a subject I am completely uninterested in.) We took an online class. I found that he can't even read the text very well... always stumbling over words and not comprehending. I ended up almost taking the entire course by myself. I even took his final exam. He was glad that I scored him a 4.0 and is expecting me to take the next one... but I am not that exited! He said that if he doesn't take any more classes that he may eventually get replaced with someone with more schooling or someone with a bachelors degree. He said if he loses his job that he will go into the army (which doesn't make me very exited!)

What would you do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Hmmm maybe he should get 'replaced' by YOU!
    Ask him what he is going to do when he HAS to know or apply something you answered for him at work and he is clueless?

Feb 29, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Ahhaa... if I replaced him he will leave me! j/k

He claims that he will not need to know anything he is learning (or not learning) from these classes at work. I actually told his dad about my hesitation and his dad told me that my husband is handicapped! He told me that he always had trouble in high school and barely graduated. We have only been together for about 2 years and I must say, I am a bit disappointed... but still unsure if I should continue to help him or let him fall on his face?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Enroll him in adult education - for the basic reading and writing, if he is struggling this much. By the way, the word you are looking for is, "excited", not "exited."

He said he would go into the Army - he has to meet criteria there too. I would not complete any more of his online course work. Tutor, yes. But not to complete it or take a test for him. To keep doing that is just passing him on, enabling his inabilities. Adult education classes are made for people who struggle with basics. Hope he checks into that.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 08:01 PM
    In my opinion, it's nice that your husband's employer is offering him the chance to better himself. Frankly I wish I could get paid to further my education. But what you're doing is akin to plagiarism and could get you and your husband in a lot of trouble in a lot of trouble, at least as far as the college is concerned. His credits could be nullified. It's a bad idea to be doing his work for him.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
    What kind of work does he do?
    What type of stuff are *YOU* learning for him?
    What year did he graduate high school?
    I am wondering because sometime in the late 70's/80's they "discovered" dyslexia and I am wondering if that could be his problem.
    If he graduated before then they would have just labeled him a slow learner and not given him the help he needed.

I agree with the tutoring, maybe you should read the stuff and give him the simplified version of what you got out of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Yes, your husbands work must also notice he has some issues in education or they merely want all employees to better theirself, ( not to better you) although they don't hurt you either.

But he needs to go back and get help with his basic reading skills, he will not get ahead in a business that is wanting college educated employees, who can't read. You taking the classes for him will do no good.

If he will leave you because of his problem he has more problems than not reading well.

Feb 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Oh no... hahaha... I'm not 'excited' that I spelled that wrong...

I'll do that. I'll encourage him to take some basic learning classes.

Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:20 PM
    I'm wondering if the symptoms could be Dyslexia - Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriends in jail and I want to make him my husband. [ 17 Answers ]

My boyfriend is in jail. And I want to marry him. I can't find no information on anything. Can someone help me out hereeee? Lol Who's been in these shoes?

My husband won't make me a priority in his life [ 4 Answers ]

We have been married almost two years and together for 3 years. My husband works for his father who by the way is a Toxic parent. I even have toxic in-laws. I also have a career; however at 5:00pm I leave work for the day and go home. I always call my husband on my way home and he tells me he...

How do I make my husband fall in love with me again [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for 8 years. We've only been married going on 2 years, I'm 23 and he's 26. We also have a 2 1/2 year old boy. For the past a little over 2 years we have been addicted to drugs, mainly pain pills. Right now we are not living together but talk everyday and see each...

Make husband jealous to really want me again---how [ 1 Answers ]

My husband says he loves me and I know he does but how do I make him really truly want me again. I want him not to even look at another women without thinking of me. Yeah-Yeah I know that's not likely----he's a man. When we began our relationship we couldn't get enough of one another-----I want...

How to stop hating my mother [ 2 Answers ]

I hate my mother but at the same time I respect her. I tend to do self-destructive things just to make her upset. I know I am hurting myself and I should not hate my mother but I don't know how to change. I frankly wonder if it is even possible to change. What should I do?

View more questions Search