Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vintage_surf21 Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Are all architects men?
    I decided to take an architecture class a few years back. I am a tall blond beautiful female and found the men in the class not taking me serious... not even the teacher, who was also male. I was so discouraged that after the class was through, I decided to switch over to decorating... should I be discouraged? Or should I wait until I am older to gain respect from the opposite sex in the world of architecture?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:42 PM
    You gain respect not by age but by results.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:16 PM
    How old are you?

Of course there are female architects, I know several. My best friend's husband works for one! You will need to prove yourself, just as anyone else. If you feel your teacher is not taking you serious - then ask for a meeting with him and discuss your concerns. Whatever you do, DO NOT change to decorating.
    vintage_surf21 Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 29, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Thanks for the encouragement. I really feel like I have a lot to offer to a company and will try not to hide in a box... when the time is right, I will pursue my architecture degree again.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:41 AM
    I would suggest following what your heart says and pursuing your dreams. You have already indicated to me in another thread that one of the things that you are good at is pencil drawing. If you would like, I will be glad to introduce you to those who have pursued an artistic endeavor as a career.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 2, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Just have a look at Julia Morgan and Zaha Hadid and you'll see there have been female architects around for a long time and there still are now!

Don't let other people's preconceptions harm your dreams!
    msk Posts: 59, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2008, 07:08 AM
    This type of behavior is often seen in offices and companies but also present in colleges. Things change as the time passes and you will see the persons ignoring you might be admiring you one day. Even my real niece is doing 3rd year architecture. Nothing is limited to males or females.Secondly you can prove yourself by your results as already been told above.
    zapper Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Don't worry if they're not serious about you. I've seen woman architects too. So it doesn't matter if you are a man or woman as long as you know u can do it. So carry on doing what you want to do.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 11:16 PM
    my wife is a tall, beautiful woman who works in a male dominated manufacturing field. On a recent trip to europe, she wanted just once to not to be the first one to walk through the door... as the men before her waited for her to pass while holding the door for her.

yes... its nice to be kind... but she spent 10 days seeing women in positions that always seemed to involve bringing coffee to men.

so... my point is it can be done. Do you have it in you? I really hope so. My wife directs a manufacturing facility in a field that is no less than 10x as populated with men in equal or higher positions. So what?

if architecture is your dream, follow it. Understand even jerks and a$$holes can teach you something now and then... take the good... throw away the noise.

my wife might even say being a competent, beautiful woman in a male dominated field can have some advantages. While they are looking at your body, you can kick them in the throat with your boots. She's done it more than once. Never once has she lamented trying to run with the boys. At this point, the only thing she hasn't done is become the president of the company...

tick, tock...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many men [ 8 Answers ]

How many men does it take to do laundry? NONE ITS WOMEN'S WORK

For men. [ 27 Answers ]

Do you find large vaginal lips sexy or not. I have a large labia, and my lips are a brownish tint? Is this gross?

For men... [ 49 Answers ]

Do married men have wet dreams? Wet dreams of another femal other than their wife? If so, why? (maybe it's a silly question but I'm curious ;) )

Uses of men [ 49 Answers ]

Girls shouldn't break up with guys because there are lots of uses that could benefit girls. When tired, a man is a pillow to sleep; When sad, a man is a handkerchief; When lonely, a man is an animal stuff to hug; When it rains, a man is an umbrella. ... But why are we so...

To all the men [ 3 Answers ]

To all the men out there... just wondering here what do most of you guys want out of a realionship... what excalty do you look for in a women? And what should a women do in order to have a serious realionship that may lead to marriage? Also suppose a couple has been dating for about 5 months and...

View more questions Search