Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJ Max of VA Beach Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 05:07 PM
    All my goldfish are dying, and nothing I do is helping!
    I tried to keep this short and sweet, but it didn't really work. We had a goldfish about a year, along with some sort of algae-eater. Everything was fine until we purchased three more goldies (the black/orange ones). After about a week, we noticed them laying around more, then the problems started.

They started nipping at each others fins (or finrot, or both), the base of their fins started turning red (looked like septicemia, only noticed this on the gold goldfish, since the others were dark-colored), and their slime coat started growing in excess (long, slimy strands hanging off the bodies).

As soon as I saw all these problems, I moved the two I had had for a year into a 10-gal hospital tank I set up on the fly, and applied pimafix and metafix (an anti-fungal and antibiotic) to the water. I completely emptied the 20 gal tank (freaking out thinking the water was too dirty and it was my fault), cleaned everything, refilled it, and allowed it to sit for about a day and a half to evap. The chlorine. I woke up yesterday to find my goldfish and one of the new ones dead.

A few minutes ago, my algae eater wasn't moving, but he was breathing. I panicked and moved the three remaining fish back to the freshly cleaned 20 gal tank, but the algae eater didn't make it.

Before I moved them all to the hospital tank, I tested the water, and all the levels were acceptable. PH was a little low (approx 6.7, normally 7.1), and the nitrite, ammonia, and phosphorus levels were all zero (or very close to zero). I did notice that the water in the hospital tank became cloudy after about a day, and now, in a matter of an hour, the crystal-clear water in the clean 20 gal tank is beginning to cloud. I'm sorry I drug this on for so long. I'm so stressed... I feel like I did everything right, but it wasn't enough. Can I save the last two fish?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Can you check the water now and give me the readings?
    Ammonia - I'm guessing this will be high.
    Nitrite
    Nitrate

Please let me know, it seems like the cycle was damaged in the 20 gallon from over cleaning.
    And the 10 gallon hospital tank never had a chance to develop the cycle.

You can read about the cycle here Aquarium cycle

When fish are sick, it's extremely hard for them to tolerate an uncycled aquarium due to all the toxins.

I assure you that the fish didn't get sick by your hand.
    So many fish stores sell sick fish that unfortunately infect the healthy ones
    After you bring them home.

So sorry you're having to go through this.
    Please let me know how things are going.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Do a search on "cloudy aquarium water". Suggestions are to use reverse osmosis water which might be available at a aquarium supply store.

I'd might be tempted to use some distilled water without any gravel in the hospital tank. Use chlorine remover anyway.

I think you acted proactively.
    DJ Max of VA Beach Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, the remaining fish passed today. I guess I didn't get the medicine in the water soon enough. I am going to clean and disinfect the tank and all its accessories, re-cycle it, and start over. I will definitely quarantine new fish in the future. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have two new goldfish just put into a fish bowl yesterday and now today the water is cloudy. What should I do?

My goldfish [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?

My goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my goldfish have been swimming around the top a lot. :confused: They will go a little above the water and come back down.:confused: They will go near the bubbles and come back down. Sometimes they will go all the way down. But most of the time they are swimming around the top. Why are they...

Goldfish Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction....

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

View more questions Search