Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 04:30 PM
    A Follow-up to Rosie
    Hi everyone,

For those of you who were so very kind and supportive - Labman, Ruby, J_9, Kae, and many more, about my former post on Rosie, here is an update.

Had my day in court, actually two days but who is counting? Lol. The hearing was in civil court. The guy who owned the other dog did not dispute what his dog did. Could not dispute his fault in the violation of the leash law and also the criminal neglience that was the result. He balked at the idea of replacing Rosie. He thought since she was not an "offical" assistance dog, that I could go and get another dog anywhere. In fact he said he had been to the Humane Shelter and "found" what he thought would be a "great" dog - a Cairn Terrier. An older dog, one owner home, no behaviors. But it was also not around any children or a lot of activity. I was not crazy about it and said so. I don't have any problem with the Terrier but it is a smaller dog with longer hair and Brandon does not always realize that his grip can be painful. Why even get started with that?

The trainer I had taken Rosie to testified as to what all is needed in a dog for Brandon. He said he has been on the look-out but nothing suitable at this time. There was a representative from the guide dog assistance agency that houses and trains dogs here in North Dakota who also testified as to a suitable animal and the costs of training such animal. He said to look at around $15,000.00. Which is defrayed by grants and in-kind donations and volunteerism (by the potential owner), if at all possible. There is a potential dog, a golden lab, that is just starting the training process.

One of my concerns is that I cannot start with any program now, at least for a little while. I am leaving to go and stay with my oldest brother while he undergoes chemo. But during that time I am not home, that dog would no where be ready either. And then to go there and spend some time, with Brandon, to see if he and the dog will be able to work together. So... it is doable.

The judge awarded the replacement cost, even though he said that while Rosie was not the official assistance dog (as in coming from a rehab center), Rosie did, indeed, provide the services and companionship. The amount was left open to reflect the final costs, but not to exceed $15,000.00. All of the Vet bills from Rosie, which were already paid by the other dog owner, were also awarded.

So that part is done now. It will be wonderful if this golden lab and Brandon are a good connection. Hopefully by May 1st we will at least have found that out. The rest we leave in prayer.

Love you all!
    Dee
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I am happy with that outcome. It is entirely too little, and likely to come out of his insurance company's pocket, not his. It does send a strong message.

Few people understand the emotional tie between a person and their assistance dog. I was very impressed Aster's first year as a working dog at her partner's love for her first dog, then retired. He could no longer work and was mostly a burden to her. We were even closer when the time came for Aster to retire. Aster's continuing visits mean the world to her. I have seen other people go through getting their first dog or giving up a dog. I know many of these people well, and have been through good and bad times with them.

Adults understand life isn't easy at times, and we must go on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can ghost follow you ? [ 11 Answers ]

Very long story... When my daughter was 2 she was playing in the livingroom with her toys nothing out of the norm , I was talking to her dad in the dinning room al the sudden about five dvds fall from the entertainment center her dad looked at her and ask her why she done this when she knows that...

Follow Up on the Ex [ 7 Answers ]

We started talking regularly again about 2 months ago. I was involved in a very bad accident, and was hospitalized and in a coma. My sister text messaged everybody in my phone to inform them of my status and the Ex's number was still in there. When I came to she was one of the first people to call...

Follow up to Should I contact him [ 2 Answers ]

I called him a week ago. We talked for an hour on the phone mostly about him. I asked if he wanted to go out and grab a bite to eat and he said he was busy but would call me another time and get together. He hasn't called back Should I call him again or leave it be. I did not mention anything...

Whole lotta Rosie [ 5 Answers ]

What would fundamentalist Muslims do with some one like Rosie Odonnel? Being fat, ugly, a big vile mouth and a lesbian. Would they grant her the right to free speech as Bush and America does or would they simply lop off her big fat head? :confused:

We will follow the sun [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any other versions of the song "We will follow the sun" by Hoku? It seems very familiar, but I don't remember it being so... girly.

View more questions Search