Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olinme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 07:02 PM
    F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty
    Hi,
    I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005.
    I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form).

In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if
    1. I have to fill out 1040NR or 1040 (Last year, I used 1040).
    2. I can apply a tax treaty for H1 holders or not (My home country (South Korea) has a tax treaty with the US for F1 students for 5 years (which I used as a student), and another tax treaty for H1-B holders (for 2 years)).

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
    If you want to file Form 1040NR for 2005, you need to amend last year's return to convert to 1040NR for 2004. Otherwise, you must file Form 1040.

I do not know about the tax treaty provisions. Suggest you access www.thetaxguy.com. He specializes in tax returns for visiting aliens like yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

OPT->H1->EAD(from pending 485), tax treaty? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, I was on OPT/F1 till 06/05, on H1 from 06/05 to 08/05, then I started using my EAD obtained from my pending 485 from 09/05. I understand I can file as resident and use 1040 base on the substantial presence test as it is over 183 days since I used H1. But there is no case example...

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

F2 Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance My husband came to US in 2002 in F-2 visa. He then went to Mexico and switched to F1 visa in Jan 2003. (He stayed in Mexico for 3 days).He has never been out of US ever since then. Can he claim US-China treaty of $5000? Please also provide the supporting documentation if...

Tax Treaty instructions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian national and am trying to apply for the personal + standard deduction as outlined in the US-India tax treaty. As I was going through the instruction booklet for tax treaties (Pub 901), it states the following: "The exemption does not apply to payments borne by a permanent...

View more questions Search