Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the-wrench Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Public notification
    Can a police department put a level 2 sex offender on the news, in the newspaper, on the radio and treat them as a level 3?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 03:37 PM
    If he has been convicted and not just charged, I don't know why they could not state those facts on TV and Radio and Newspaper. I'm not sure what you mean by "treat him as a level 3"?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Has this person been convicted and served time and now is released and entering society again? If so, yes, his information can be posted in the newspapers, on the television, on the radio. So can his level and risk of
    Repeated offense. I am not sure why the police would refer to him as a level three if he is a convicted level two. Call the police and ask!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Unless the person is a minor all police records and court records are public records, and the news people merely as they normallly do, review all of the days court reports for any news worthy.

The police do not as a regular matter put anyone "on the news" the news papers and TV and radio, pick up stories found by legal researches that either work for the news companies or do free lance work.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 05:42 PM
    I agree with Fr. Chuck, that the police just do not post that information out there for all the media. However, if the sex offender is being released to the community, then that information will be in the local newspapers, and other media. To inform the public. It is done here - picture, name, address, offense, and level of risk behavior.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the-wrench
    can a police department put a level 2 sex offender on the news, in the newspaper, on the radio and treat them as a level 3?

What does "treat them as a level 3" sex offender mean? What is the difference in your area between level 2 and level 3 and how the offender is treated - ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the-wrench
    can a police department put a level 2 sex offender on the news, in the newspaper, on the radio and treat them as a level 3?
    Hello the:

No they can't. But, you're not going to stop them. If the information is wrong, call the newspaper and the TV station. Maybe they'll run a correction.

But, what difference does it make? I'm pretty familiar with stuff like this, but I don't know the difference between a level 2 sex offender and a level 3. I'm not going to let my kids hang around with either. And, I don't think he's going to lose any work, because I don't think there are any employers out there who hire level 2 sex offenders, but draw the line at level 3's.

I know it embarrasses you. And I don't think they should do it at all, unless they do it for ALL felons. Be thankful they don't civilly commit him - another illegal act, in my view.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Yes, after I read the words "sex offender" I couldn't care less what else it says, and in general don't want them around my neighborhood.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
    I looked up the levels:
    Level 1 (low risk of repeat offense), or
    Level 2 (moderate risk of repeat offense), or
    Level 3 (high risk of repeat offense and a threat to public safety exists).

Don't see much difference between levels 2 and 3. Who determines "moderate risk" or "high risk"? And I agree with Fr Chuck - I don't pay much attention to whatever words follow "sex offender."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notification of Judgment [ 2 Answers ]

Are collection agencies required to notify you before obtaining a judgment?

Termination without notification [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started working in another city full time, I was going to relocate, due to errors relating to home purchase I have stayed working in my home city, I did decide to go per diem at the other position and without my knowledge I was terminated from their system. I now must re-pay the...

Notification of child [ 2 Answers ]

I was just notified by the state about my obligation to pay child support for an eight year old child that I never new existed. I have mixed feelings about this. Although I am excited to learn of the child, I am nervous that the state will determine an amount for child support and add it up since...

No notification of any hearing [ 1 Answers ]

I am in need of any information that you might have out there about the rights that we have pertaining to child support hearings. I have heard from my ex that a ruling was made against me, and have gone on the court website for public information in my name. I did conform that a judgment...

Notification Of Bequest! [ 2 Answers ]

Anybody out there ever heard of the subject "Notification Of Bequest!!!" being mentioned in an e-mail? I got one recently. I've seen other stuff similar to this one on-line. I figured it was some kind of scam. Please let me know what you know. Thanks! Rand

View more questions Search