Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 05:37 PM
    1099-misc
    I received an 1099-misc form, from a business I did some work for. I live and worked in Minnesota.
    I received $4,250 in box 7, no taxes withheld.
    I claimed it as other income when I filed my taxes electronically line 21 of 1040.
    I just entered it on the program and it calculated and e-filed for me. Do I need to fill out a 1099-*** and then mail or file that separate with state and federal gov. (or) Do I keep a copy of form with my printed taxes just as record?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 06:18 PM
    TerraLiss:

You are not going to like this answer! Just giving you the warning up front.

You reported and filed the Form 1099 income incorrectly. The company paid you the $4,250 as an independent contractor. This makes you liable for Self Employment taxes.

You should have claimed the income (and whatever deductions you could have claimed) on Schedule C, then transferred the net income (the $4,250 minus whatever deductions were allowed) to Schedule SE to calculate the SE taxes. The total SE tax should not exceed $560.

This has no effect on the Minnesota tax return, so it should pass muster.

The good news is that you can fix the problem by filling in the Schedule C and SE on the software, print out these schedules, then amend the return using Form 1040X. If you do this before April 15, 2006, there will be no penalties levied by the IRS for filing a return negligently nor any interest charged.

This, BTW, is a classic example of the GIGO theorum: Garbage In, Garbage Out. Even the best tax software, though often extremely helpful in preparing tax returns, cannot read your mind and sometimes does not ask the correct questions.

Contact me at [email protected] if you have further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc on h1b? [ 4 Answers ]

I am working on an H1B, and received a 1099-MISC from a direct-sales company of which I am a registered distributor. The 1099 income is reported as "non-employee compensation". When I file this in Schedule C, can I claim for the expenses that I incurred? Are there any restrictions for H1B? ...

1099 Misc not sure? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc. for money earned in assisting someone else in her clothing trunk shows in 2005. Not sure how to complete sch c for business name and if I can deduct mileage, meals, etc. that I paid for during these times. Also assist in clothes deliveries from these shows so have some...

F1, w-2 and 1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I did go across lot of threads and it helped me. But I hope I can get answers to my queries. I was on F1- status throughout last year. However I was paid on 1099-misc and w-2 by two employers. My Questions 1) Do I need to attach 1099-misc or is the employer tax id enough? ...

F1, 1099-misc and w-2s [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member. Its nice to see so many people here who can help. Here's my situation: My status in 2004: Student on F1 (I still am on F1 until my H1 is approved) Was attending school full-time until: August 19, 2004 Working on OPT since August 20, 2004. My nationality: Indian I...

View more questions Search