Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bgolfer66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Replacement Window Cost
    My wife and I are considering replacement windows for our house.

I'm not interested in having every window company in the city calling us with their best deal, but I really want to know what I'm looking at from a cost perspective.

We have 16 windows in the house, most are about 35 inches wide and some are a little taller than others. 1 is a small closet window.

They're you're average size vinyl clad double pain windows and I'd assume we'd replace with something along the same lines.

Any help would be much appreciated.

John
    :confused:
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jan 27, 2006, 04:57 PM
    We just signed a contract with a company to replace all our windows in the house. I didn't want to go to the expense and boy were they pricey but we won't have to do them again. I'd be curious in what others have to say but in the meant time I will put my 2 cents in.

It depends on what kind of place you go with as to what kind of info your going to get. This company took 3 hrs to demonstrate their product. Some may not take that long to go over product. There are some things you will have to consider when doing this:

What area do you live in (weather-wise)
    How long do you plan to live there
    What are you trying to accomplish with these windows

For example, we have a lot of drafts coming through the windows. Even though the insulation isn't that great, we thought the windows will help a lot in our fuel bills (we live in the Northeast)

I won't tell you exactly, but I will tell you we arespending over 10k (which is way over our budget but worth it)

You may not expect to pay as much depending on what you want to accomplish.

Hope this helps
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 27, 2006, 06:26 PM
    I just got 10 windows replace with vinyl replacement windows and I paid about 300.00 per. Lifetime warranty, nice, double pane with whatever that gas is they put in them. This was middle road as far as the company I went with. Don't plan on being in this house more than another 5-10 years. Hopefully they'll last that long

Jan 27, 2006, 06:40 PM
    I just got 10 windows replace with vinyl replacement windows and I paid about 300.00 per. Lifetime warranty, nice, double pane with whatever that gas is they put in them. This was middle road as far as the company I went with. Don't plan on being in this house more than another 5-10 years. Hopefully they'll last that long
    Yeah, they should last. That is probably about average for a company installing them. Ours were a little pricey but they are filled with krypton which they claim is better than argon (which is probably what klmgb's are filled with). Either way you might want to go with a little more than a home depot window or something to keep the heat in in winter and cold in in the summer. Good luck.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 27, 2006, 07:21 PM
    By the way, I live in a planned subdivision, all houses built about the same time, about the same. I stopped at a couple of houses that had the window replacement signs out front and asked them how they felt about the companies they used, took all that info in, did a little research asked a few friends, then decided. Took the company all of 8 hours to replace all of them, That includes the time they had to wait on the ambulance because one of the guys cut himself pretty good when a chunk of glass fell out of the frame and sliced his wrist. (make sure they have insurance)
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 28, 2006, 10:33 AM
    If your handy why not trying to replace them yourself? They are not to hard to install. On most of them, 4 screws hold the window unit in.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jan 31, 2006, 06:48 PM
    I replaced 17 windows in my house for about $4500.

Double hung, low-e, etc...

Took me a day and a half - would have been less, but I have 3 HUGE picture windows. (4x5 feet), they took a little while longer :)

I estimate I save about 50-60% of the installed cost - I have a quote for about $9500, but the windows I chose to install myself were higher quality than the ones had quoted. A friend of mine had the companythat quoted me do his... wishes he went the way I did, but I do excellent work (HEHEHEHE).

Good luck.
    bgolfer66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by klmgb
    Thanks for the response. Was the $300 the cost of the windows only or windows and installation?
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 11, 2006, 01:01 AM
    I had 23 windows installed with transferrable lifetime warranty... it includes free replacement of even the screen and labor IS covered in my contract approx $600 per window installed.. they are the Simonton Renovations 6500.. included the insulation and trim and vacuuming of my rugs around each window.. which they did without question.. so much better than the old single pane rope and weight windows.. good luck and if I had the time and knowledge of bending trim I'd done it myself to save the labor also..
    pmed70 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 06:34 PM
    John,
    I'm an installer in the northeast I can tell you the window will cost you between $160 - $240 each depending on your options, Low-E glass, argon filled, dbl locks, full or half screen, dividers?? then avg install is $100 - $150
    Per window total avg is about $360 each installed, if your handy you could do them yourself take about 1/2 hr each for experienced, about 1 hr inexperienced per window, no matter what the key is to make sure these windows get sealed properly, these prices are providing there is minimal work on the inner and outer trim.

Mar 28, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Tommy, I had windows recently done from the same mfg but not sure if it si the same company that installed them, for a little more than the cost your talking about. The salesman also said the windows were lifetime transferable warranty. I signed the contract which didn't have the warranty info on there, they wrote it in the description. I get the brochure from the actual company and it talked about labor costs and the next owner having to pay $50 to have the transferable warranty. I questioned it with the company and they said "uh huh, after 2 yrs you have to pay labor costs". I foguht this and as we speak they should be sending me a ltter stating they will replace anything for free for the life of us owning the house plus send us a $50 check to us when we go to sell the house for the next owners. I realize now you have to be very careful of what the salesmen sell you as opposed to what the actually truth is.
    deucedown Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 07:33 PM
    I'm in the process of having contractors give me prices on installing replacement windows. It is more expensive than I thought. For someone with no experience in installing windows how difficult is it to seal the windows properly. I just bought a house and I have learned how to install doors and trim. Is it as difficult as installing a door from a rough opening?

Appreciate any help,
    Gregg
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Apr 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Are the windows the old wooden rope & weight type? If they are, it is pretty simple to install replacement windows.

Apr 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
    The windows currently in place are wood slider windows.

Apr 18, 2006, 06:34 PM
    I would like to install double hung windows. Thanks
    jansbear51 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    i had 23 windows installed with transferrable lifetime warranty...it includes free replacement of even the screen and labor IS covered in my contract approx $600 per window installed..they are the Simonton Renovations 6500..included the insulation and trim and vacuuming of my rugs around each window..which they did without question..so much better than the old single pane rope and weight windows..good luck and if i had the time and knowledge of bending trim i'd done it myself to save the labor also..

Tommyp!972 Can you tell me what size windows you have? I got a quote on 15 windows same as you renovations 6500 and one patio door but I think it is real high, $17000. Thanks for your help inadvance.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 20, 2006, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jansbear51
    Tommyp!972 Can you tell me what size windows you have? I got a quote on 15 windows same as you renovations 6500 and one patio door but I think it is real high, $17000. Thanks for your help inadvance.
    22 windows ranging from 90-105 linear inches
    Just sent 1 back getting full refund... didnt need the 23rd window... the addition it was going into is being torn down.. heck if you want I'll show you my order invoice when he measured all the windows... lend me a email and I will scan ASAP and then you can show the salesman he's taking you for a ride... that price you got quoted sounds very very high...
    jansbear51 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 04:38 AM
    Thanks so much Tommyp!972 here is my emai
    [email protected]
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

May 18, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Depending on how handy you are and how long you are going to stay in the house should help in your decision.

If you are going to switch window styles (double hung to casement) you would probably want to hire a contractor.

If you are going to stay with the same style, then there are lot of options. Andersen and Marvin make replacement pacs for double hung windows. If your frames are in good shape, they will supply you with window kits that include jamb liners that replace the old rope, pulley and weights. (Just make sure to fill the old weight pocket with insulation)

Another option is to use the replacement windows from a big box store. You will typically replace the whole frame but, you can get some good windows from them.

In the local paper, a company is offering vinyl replacement windows for $189 installed.

I didn't look at them when we replaced ours as my wife wanted to go from casement windows to double hung so we looked around and decided on Marvin Infinity. They are made of fibrex which is a fiberglass material. Which means that they should expand and contract at the same rate as the glass in the windows which should help prevent seal failures. Vinyl has a much higher expansion/contraction rate than glass so may be more prone to seal failure.

Just make sure that the contractors are licensed, bonded and insured. And check with the state to make sure their license is up to date.

You should also check with your local building inspector to see if you would need a permit. We did and we ended up installing 12 smoke detectors in our house at the last minute. Which was a good thing, but, still a pain.
    netmouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 09:32 AM
    The $189 guy is only a basic uninstalled price for replacement window. You are then shown a menu of add-on options to purchase in order to make the window the equal of those with low e and argon gas, and installed ! The real price is closer to $300 or 350. And they DO NOT open the weight pockets and insulate - which you should have done. They just want to pop the windows in quickly, make a profit and leave. So I did not choose this company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old window unit [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Friedrich window unit. It has a 3 prong plug and we have it in a 20 amp socket. The breaker is a 60 amp and the wiring is 220 12/3. We aren't getting power to the unit. What are we doing wrong here?? :eek:

Window repair [ 10 Answers ]

We have a large picture window in our living room with 2 plates of glass, yesterday when taking down the curtain poll, it fell and crashed into the window breaking out a hole in the inside glass, but it didn't go all the way through to the outside glass. How would one repair this, and would it be...

Window price [ 2 Answers ]

Is $90 dollars good for a basement window 32" by 19".

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

Window Xo restarts itself [ 1 Answers ]

:oi am using win98 and win xp together. Win98 on C drive and win xp on D drive. For few days when I open win xp it starts and then computer closes and restarts automatically. This time it says that the computer was not closed properly and option of safe mode, start previous configuration and...

View more questions Search