Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 03:03 AM
    Not what I wanted nor was told I was getting

First of all you should get exactly what you paid for.

My question is this...since the air handler/evaporator coil and the supply lines are all new does this mean they are already rated for R410

More than likely since they stopped making dedicated R-22 coils some time ago BUT you do not know the exact age of the equiptment they installed. It could be old stock they are trying to get rid of.

From what I am reading, not that I am interrupting it right, you can use R22 units with the new current evaporator coils but you can't use R410 with the old type coils. Am I correct?

Correct.

I would think all I have to do is get the Heating and Air company to just change the units out with R410 units??? the units have been installed but they haven't been run yet so they haven't contaminated my system yet.

They might not have been run yet BUT you have no idea if they have released the charge out of the condensing units since they do not have to run them to do this.

Changing the units out isn't a big deal, however if the air handler has to be changed out, then they have their work cut out for them. It is in the attic, and all the sheet rock has been done. It won't come out as easy as it went up

It really does not make a difference how difficult or how much work is involved. You should get what you paid for.

I would start by checking to make sure the units you are getting are R-410 and they are of the current model numbers available from 2008 or 2009. The inside and outside should match exactly. Have the dealer/builder certify this information then check for yourself since it seems they made a mistake OR lied to you about your units being R-410 to start with.

Many corners are being cut right now in the building trades because of the money situation and there is plenty of old equipment sitting around since they have not been selling/building as many new homes or replacing as many units with the economic problems we are having. Keep an eye on everything but verify especially on your HVAC equipment. Nothing is wrong with R-22 equipment but R-410 is the latest and greatest so you should get exactly what you paid for. The equipment should be sized correctly and installed according to the manufactures install instructions. ALL paperwork that comes with the equipment has to be left on the job site according to code and the manufactures install instructions. If you let things slide you will not get what you paid for.
    JMAC71 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 06:29 AM

Okay thanks. You have been a big help. I am going to check the other unit today. I know one of the units is an R22 from the tag. I will see about the second one. They may have just made a mistake but these days it is hard to find anybody to rely on for sure. I am interested in seeing what the air handler with the evaporator coils has for a mfg date. I am hoping they just made a mistake and set the wrong outside units.

Thanks,
    JMAC
    JMAC71 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 07:33 AM

I have checked the entire system that was put in my new house. Both outside units plus the airhandler/evaporator coils are all R22. All three are the Gibson (Nordyne) models. First thought is to have them take it all out and have them replace it with R410. Lots of labor, which shouldn't be my problem, but there are some issues with the new house that this will cause. Mainly tearing out sheetrock and repainting of the interior walls. Getting painting to match and so on. My questions is, IF I decided to leave the R22 system in vs replacing it with the R410 system, what type of compensation in $$$$$$ do you think would be fair for allowing them to keep the R22 system in place and not having to replace it. I have been told that if the R22 unit has to be replaced after 2010 that it would be replaced with a R410 unit. When or if it is replaced with a R410 the evaporator coils would have to be replaced in the air handler and the lines would have to be flushed out. This is about a $1400 dollar job from what I am being told. So basing on that, any ideas what you guys in the field would consider fair and equatible?

Thanks,
    JMAC
    custer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
    Folks in phoenix az area should think twice before changing to ac with R410. The extreme heat is not suitable for R410 which turns to gas and loses its capacity to cool. R410 also operates under such high pressure that it draws outside hot air down through bathroom ceiling vents.
    I set my thermostat at 78 and the ac runs continuously 5 or 6 hours during afternoon and the room temp rises to 82 degrees. The ac is better during the night and early morning only. House is 1900 sq ft with 5 ton ac. Hopefully in time the pros will develop a new generation of refrigerant that actually cools in all climates. Until then I am going back to R22.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 06:09 PM
    R-410A works just as well as R-22. You just have a bad install.
    kempo41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 08:29 AM
    T top just bin schooled I stated at 19 years old I'm 50 now nice stuffhvac 1000 would love to go back to school were are u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing R22 with R410A [ 9 Answers ]

I have several proposals for the installation of a new, more energy efficient HVAC system for my home. The company reps from Trane are telling me that they will need to install new refrigerant lines for the R410A because they can't remove all traces of R22 from the current lines. Lennox reps say...

Trane, Carrier or? ; R410A or R22? [ 17 Answers ]

Help. I live in a home with two A/C-Heat pump units that are around 15-16 years old. Since we moved in 10 years ago, we have had yearly problems with at least one of the systems or both. The outside box (condensor/compressor?) was replaced, the system would freeze, Freon would be low at least...

R134a in an R22 system [ 4 Answers ]

What would the effects be if an r-22 system were to be evacuated and filled with R134a? What is the reason that this equipment can not handle this gas?

Changing R410 to R22 [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone taken out R410 from a R410 system and put in R22.

How to confirm R410 is used in Trane XR15 installation? [ 1 Answers ]

Can and should old heat recovery line (15 years old) be reconnected with new Trane 14 seers with R410A? How you can confirm that your contractor is really using R410 with Trane?

View more questions Search