Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmabetty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 04:40 PM
    H1B starting on 3/1/05, may I file form1040 jointly with noresident husband?
    I am a Chinese. My OPT ended in 2/28/05. My fisrt $5000 was tax free because of the treaty. However, my SS and medicare tax were withhold for these two months under my OPT. My H1B started on 3/1/05.

I would gratefully appreciate your help on the following questions:

1) Am I a dual-status alien?

2) May I use F1040 or F1040A for 2005 tax refund?
    3) Do I need to attach a statement required to make the first year choic?

4) May I file F1040A or F1040 under the married filing jointly with my nonresident husband?
    He worked using his OPT in US for a couple of months in 2004; he received about $2000 bonus in 2005 for the period he worked in 2004 from the US company. Therefore he has a W2 for 2005. He worked in China for the whole 2005. But he visited me and stayed in US for about 50 days.

5) IF we file as married filing jointly, do we need to include (report) his income in China? He has bank account in China. He paid tax for Chinese government and has about 8 months tax report available (in Chinese). Do we need to use them and how?

6) As of my SS and medicare tax for Jan and Feb 2005 under my OPT, may I get them back?

Thanks again for your insight and suggestions!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 06:07 PM
    EmmaBetty:

1 & 2) You are dual-status, but you can file Form 1040 or 1040A as a resident alien because you meet the Substantial Presence Test.

3) You will need to attach the statement.

4 & 5) You probably could file jointly with your husband, but his Chinese income (wages and interest) would be subject to U.S. taxes. You will get a credit for the Chinese taxes paid, however.

6) You may be able to get the withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes back by filing Form 843. I do not think filing as a resident alien takes that right away from you, but I am not sure. You may want to post your question on www.thetaxguy.com. He specializes in taxes for non-resident aliens and has a lot more experience than me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanted to file taxes jointly, we are on J1/J2 visas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on J1 visa, came to usa on 09/2004. I'm from India and a non resident both for tax purpose and immigration purpose. My wife who is on J2 visa worked for a little time in the year 2005. She stopped working as she was a pregnant, we had our baby on 12/22/05. Now we wanted to file jointly (as...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

Filing jointly or separtely [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 and came to US in Jan 2005. My wife came to US in April 2005 on H4. She changed her status to F1 in Aug 2005. She doesn't have an income in year 2005 and she has started getting scholarship starting Feb 2006. We paid $4000 as her 2005 tution fees. As I am a resident alien, I can...

My Husband Died Can I File His Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

:( hello my husband drove truck and i didn't work much this year because i rode with him a lot but he was killed in his truck a few months ago last year we filed together can i file the taxes this year?:confused:

F-1 and H-1 jointly for tax [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I holds F-1 visa and my wife holds H-1 visa. We become resident aliens for tax purposes in 2005. If we file 1040 jointly, can and how can we claim a treaty exemption (between China and US) for my scholarship or fellowship? If we use 1040 form, which line in 1040 and which attached form...

View more questions Search