Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Need 504 plan for grandson
    I have several concerns and questions for those who are familiar with procedures in the TIER I, TIER II, and TIER III model. My grandson who now 9, was diagnosed at Medical Center with ADHD, ODD when he was 6. He was assessed as low to average in IQ. I believe he also has dyslexia but he is in process of being evaluated for this. This is the 2nd year My daughter has been requesting a 504 plan to address these issues. In meantime the school has mishandled the TIER process. They indicate that he has been receiving interventions but we have never seen what those are even though they were requested. His case was referred to the DTST for a look see, my daughter received a notice to come to the meeting 2 days beforehand, and could not attend as she wanted an advocate available with her, and could not get time off work. She requested they postpone the meeting until Mar. 12th. THEY WENT ON WITH THE MEETING WITHOUT HER. Then told her the outcome. Did they follow procedures?

Mar 4, 2008, 08:57 AM
    c'mon, someone please give some reply!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Did they follow procedure, she was notified of a hearing, an choose not to come but did request a new date. She needed to be there in person, if they did not agree to give a new date.

In the case plan, even after the first meeting to develop a plan, the plan can be and should be revised on a regular basis to meet the needs to the individual. So get the advocate, and you and them and your medical professional review the plan and see if it is OK, Just because she was not there does not mean it is not a good plan, if the plan does not meet the needs request a review of the plan. Sometimes an attorney may be needed to help a school board reconsider plans.

Mar 4, 2008, 09:58 AM
    We do not have a 504 plan. This is what we feel will help him, but he district will not create one. They have created "interventions," that they say are not being helpful, but even with a written request, they have not given us those interventions so we can determine whether they were successful Getting advocates involved has been helpful, but I am disgusted with the idea of them being necessary. At this point we have complainded to district administrators, and am wating for a response. I'm pretty sure a lawyer is going to be needed. This district may need a few more lawsuits.

Mar 4, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Also, no they did not follow procedures, I've learned this from advocates. They should have postponed the meeting until she could have input, and not make decisions without the opportunity to speak with the parents.
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
    504 plans cost money, often lots of money, requirements for speical programs, accomidations and more, often, attorneys have to get involved to help in the discussions of a program. It is support to be a program worked out bettween the doctors recommendations, schools evaluations by their counseling staff, prior years teachers if relivant and more.

** Ok I have never been invovled in them but I have read a lot about it, because of my work with the handicap and providing equipment that the schools used in doing this.

** many times it is a matter of money, but they are required to furnish these programs if there is a real need. ( not saying yours is not a real need, just wording that was used in our programs I have worked with

Mar 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Father Chuck, we are looking at the differences between a 504 plan and an IEP, now mind you I want the appropriate plan for my grandson, but the real issue with 504 plans from many districts view is that they cannot "make money" off this plan. He has ADD all he needs is to have accommodations attached to his academic curriculum. This would be at no cost to district, just an acknowlegement that Attention Deficit Disorder interferes with his ability to access his educational system. Trust me, this is an issue about this District's Will, and insistence that he receive an IEP, and not a 504 plan.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by darhe3425
    Father Chuck, we are looking at the differences between a 504 plan and an IEP, now mind you I want the appropriate plan for my grandson, but the real issue with 504 plans from many districts view is that they cannot "make money" off of this plan. He has ADD all he needs is to have accomodations attached to his academic curriculum. This would be at no cost to district, just an acknowlegement that Attention Deficit Disorder interferes with his ability to access his educational system. Trust me, this is an issue about this District's Will, and insistence that he receive an IEP, and not a 504 plan.

Am I correct in reading that the school is pushing for the IEP and you prefer the 504? Where have his accommodations been documented so far? Did they give you a copy of the paperwork that was dealt with at the last meeting to go over his academic plan? Could you or your daughter go into the school office and request a copy of the forms? Might be faster then waiting for them to be mailed to you... which they should have been. What has been said at parent/teacher conferences in regard to the interventions being used? Do his needs require more accommodations then a general 504 would cover? I assume he is in a general ed classroom... how has he been doing? The 504 would be the first step in the process... and quite easy to obtain really, especially if they have already been documenting his performance and needs so far. Having already had a diagosis from his doctor makes it that much easier to do.
    Sorry for all of the questions... just trying to get a better understanding of the situation.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I may have been incorrect, I was under the impression that there normally was a IEP developed when you did a 504. You have to outline what accomidatons you are going to have to meet and how you are goig to meet them

Mar 6, 2008, 08:33 AM
    At the first Teacher Support Team meeting, my daughter documented that she was requesting a 504 plan. They were supposed to follow up, but did not until late January, TST meeting was in October. By that time they already had a course of action, which was to railroad him to the DTST for recommendation for exceptional ed. Testing, very common here. His medical assessments from an independent psychologist were not considered, basically ignoring fact that he has ADHD. The interventions written for him to succeed, with the teacher giving additional help 30 minutes twice daily, only indicates where she had graded failing papers even when his answers were correct, only marking spelling errors, (his dyslexia). I have been a teacher for Exceptional Ed. Students for 14 years, I know how teachers falsify documents, and grade to slant a student in one direction or the next, unfortunately I now see this played out with my grandkid. But they really are boo-booing on the wrong kid. My daughter did give written request for all documents, we have reviewed them and find many errors, including dates and signatures inconsistent, omission of meeting where we attended with request for a 504 plan. We are on verge of a lawsuit, and are searching for one.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Any luck taking it higher up... principal... area rep... superintendent? Are there any other issues... behavior for example, that they might be trying to go that direction to get him into a VE class? Has he had testing through the school? Odd that they won't go on his doctor's diagnosis. Having that speeds of the process for either route.
    The interventions you mention aren't much in the way of accommodations. I'd suggest your daughter call the school and let them know she wants a meeting with the 504 committee set for next week, or some such time frame. Take in the paperwork received to discuss concerns. Have her tell them she feels she has gotten the run around and sees not other recourse but to contact the area rep or superintendent to meet with if the school isn't able to accommodate her. Then she should follow through if necessary.
    Good luck with it!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Have you considered calling the County School Superintendent's office and filing a complaint. The County Regional Office has authority over the local school districts. You can also file a complaint with your State School Board if you feel your grandson's rights have been ignored.
    School District may consider an outside diagnois but they are not required to accet one and develop a plan based on its findings. I'd go ahead with a full case study, mom should attend all meetings and you can be her advocate if she needs one who knows the ropes.

Mar 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
    The lesson we are learning here is that many people read and interpret differently, in addition to personal biases, and plan old fashioned laziness... the teacher sees a difficult to instruct child decides that the best placement for him is on someone else's roll, usually an exceptional education roll, cause this the tried and true method of relieving yourself of additional workload,and I understand cause teachers work hard for their money! We have said all along we know this kid is ADHD, not easy to instruct, but we want accommodations for him that will assist him in his learning. Now the key here is his learning, not their instruction, which is where we get lost. We now know document, document, and over document what is said and what is given.

We are only trying to prepare a written statement for this meeting, addressing all of the inconsistencies, and again refuse the offer of District testing, without consideration of his original assessment. The assessment was conducted in 2005, January, they are saying it is outdated, but they waited until 'february to say this, when they could have asked for an updated assessment in October when we met. I'm furious, because signatures have been concocted as if meeting actually occurred, when they did not. I meet in morning with an Advocate to review documents. Does anyone have knowledge of TIER process, cause we are sure procedures have been violated and we do not have a CHADD group in this state, so who can tell me how they can tell us how ADHD significantly can impact a child's learning? Thank you all really
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 06:21 PM
    What state are you in?

Mar 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Mississippi...
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Mar 7, 2008, 07:43 AM
    What are you asking to be in the 504 plan? It is common for the 504 plan to have accommodations like you have already, extra time to do assignements, tests, etc. If you had your time to speak to the school and give your ideas, what would you be asking of them? ALso, did the Indepenent Psychologist give the school a copy of the record for the ADHD diagnosis? The confidentiality laws are really stricks with that. And if he was tested a few years back, I would get him tested again, and sign a release of information to give to the school psychologist. I am a counselor in a school and many of my ADHD kids do not have 504 plans, but some do have IEPs only. Some do have 504 plans that work. Again, what would you like in the 504 plan that he is not getting already? You have the right to want one... just have not heard the specifics.

Mar 10, 2008, 05:11 AM
    My daughter signed a release for his medical records in October. The school never obtained it, and it was at this meeting that she again requested a 504 plan, again they did not follow up, nor did my daughter initiate any concerns about what was going on. There appeared to be very little communication between home and school about what was taking place. But the school obviously went ahead with their agenda to direct him towards District Teacher Support Team for testing, as they said they believed he was a "slow learner." Well he is a slow learner, he has dyslexia (unofficial, he will be tested this week for this), and he has ADHD and his ability to learn has been impacted, as medications have been adjusted, changed according to his response to them. In a 504 plan we want additional time for assignments, reduced assignments in some cases, testing in small group, oral answers, and the use of a tape recorder, seat arranged closer to instruction, and frequent breaks, including recess, and P.E. ( both of which he does not access now). Thanks
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
    See what happens with the testing results. They will set a meeting to go over results and, once again, bring in the results from the previous testing that was done with his doctor. Often it is helpful to have more recent testing, and some may balk at testing done more than a year ago, but ADHD does not just go away and he is on meds. With the results from both testing sessions, hopefully your daughter will be able to obtain what she is hoping for. You certainly aren't asking for anything out of the ordinary on a possible 504.

Mar 13, 2008, 01:38 PM
    We spoke to an Advcate today, and feel very encouraged, as she points out some obvious oversights on the districts part. If anyone has heard of that decision, I believe in Georgia where a kid was not only misdiagnosed the school district, but then was underserved... it is one to learn about, cause that is the very reason I do not want the district test especially since they should have tested him 2 years ago, not waiting for him to "fail," although I thinnk he had some help in that. I feel relieved but this is only step 1, as after we meet few times with advocate with a looksee at all documents, she will go to them with us and explain the deal or get clarifications. Any other suggestions, I appreciate all and more. Thanks
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Mar 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Well, ask the advocate about the difference between the Diagnosis of a mental health issue (ADHD) and a school test (behavior, learning issues). Sometimes having a mental health diagnosis can be helpful and sometimes it can be hurtful. The school should not be testing for ADHD, but they can generally test for "symptoms." And a 504 plan be implemented from a general test (at least where I work it can). Being a counselor in a school, I work WITH the administration with issues, but I don't work directly with learning issues. I will say I think it would be to your benefit to get some counseling with him as a family to help the family know how to work with him and teach him strategies that are helpful, not only at school, but home as well. There are some strategies you can learn to help him be able to be successful independently as well! I work with my families all the time with home strategies... and learning to deal with the ADHD, not just get help in school. He has a lot to learn to be independent later! Impulsivity, distraction, etc can be lessened with some behavioral plans as well. Hope that helps. Good luck, and I am glad you are really trying to get the help you need. I see so many parents who sit back and make little efforts to get the help. Let us know how it goes, I am curious about the testing at school and their findings!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an adult get a 504 plan? [ 3 Answers ]

Can an adult get a 504 plan? A teacher friend of mind has high blood pressure which has proven to be drug resistant. Can she get a 504 plan requiring that she not be given a certain non-teaching duty that she presently has. This is a stressful duty that her doctor does not want her to continue...

Can a 504 be stripped without parent consent? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your help My son has been on a 504 for 6 years. At this point, just entering the high school, he has very minimal accommodations. I went to meeet with the new principal only to describe my son so that when they were putting together the teachers they would have the description of his...

504, what are the new criterion? [ 1 Answers ]

I know to be qualified for 504 accommodations, you must have an academic deficiency. Is this the only thing needed to qualify? Thanks

504 laws [ 1 Answers ]

Once covered under a 504 are you always protected under the 504 or do you lose all protection if you no longer receive accommodations?

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search